Or: "How the West (Bank) Was Won"

Watching the Fox News channel yesterday, I observed the host and people calling in to the show discussing the present Middle East situation. As a British person living (as I would) in the UK, I found it intriguing to see the Americans' (well, Fox News') viewpoint on the whole shebang. Although I realise that Fox News' opinion is not that of the vast majority of US citizens (thank God), the people that phoned in certainly shared the same opinions.

I know the pieces fit / Cause I watched them fall away. Mildewed and smoldering / Fundamental differing.

It didn't occur to me just how little the people phoning in knew about America's vested interests in the Middle East, and in particular, how much bias the USA has toward Israel.

Dubya stated (Re: September 11th) "America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world." Now far be it from me to suggest that Bin Laden's methods or motives were anywhere near justified, but it did make me realise the extent of the hatred directed towards the West, and particularly the US, from the far reaches of the globe.

The question "Why?" remains somewhat unanswered for the Americans who phoned in Fox News that day though.

Pure intention juxtaposed / Will set two lovers' souls in motion. Disintegrating as it goes / Testing our communication.

The answer could possibly (!) be linked to the current events in Israel. The USA sends $3billion a year to Israel in the form of arms, tanks, et al. Palestinian authorities get $80million. Why does the US spend so much on Israel? The pro-Israel Jewish lobby is one of the most powerful in the US, which is almost certain to be a factor.

The light that fueled our fire then has / burned a hole between us so We cannot see to reach an end / crippling our communication

Another factor would be the oil industry. Only 10% of the oil used in the USA comes from the Persian Gulf. However 30% of Europe's oil, and 80% of Japan's oil comes from the Gulf. The US exerts significant influence over these countries through the control of Gulf oil.

The most important country in the Middle East (concerning oil) is Saudi Arabia, which controls 27% of the world's oil supply. The "light crude" oil in Saudi is sought after by US industries particularly for uses such as aviation fuel. Oil sales to the US are often backed up by subsequent arms purchases from the US by Saudi. The purchase of arms from the US is almost certainly linked to the rising opposition to the corrupt Saudi monarchy and its abuse of human rights, and other such practices (eg. the exclusion of the population from political participation). Hence the opposition associate the USA with the corrupt Saudi monarchy, and therefore sees the US as a legitimate target.

No fault, none to blame / It doesn't mean I don't desire To point the finger / Blame the other / Watch the temple topple over

Quite a complex web, also people should read Why the US is not a good mediator for Israel vs Palestine and UN resolutions relating to Israel vetoed by the US and The Cost of Israel to US Taxpayers

Doomed to crumble unless we grow / and strengthen our communication

Lyrics: Schism by Tool from the album Lateralus

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.