A 24-hour Christian broadcast/cable/satellite network. TBN's about 25 years old now, and has grown steadily since its humble and "miraculous" beginnings. Their flagship show is Praise The Lord, often hosted by TBN founders Paul and Jan Crouch (the blueprint for Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker). Heavily pentecostal, evangelical, and old-school - their target audience must be rural Midwest grannies. If you live in The Southern US, you can probably find an affiliate on your UHF dial.

In the rural, hilly parts of the Bible Belt (I speak specifically of Oklahoma here) you can only get Trinity or Fox on television. Most people either get a satellite dish. The rest go insane and send their worldly possesions to Oral Roberts.

I used to watch TBN for grins when I lived in Fayetteville, AR. I don't get it where I live now. And although I am a Christian, I didn't appreciate a lot of the rhetoric spewed by the idiots on TBN.

There's Benny Hinn who claims to heal people on the spot. Why doesn't he spend more time in hospitals where people are dying every day? Surely if he were as powerful and as gifted as he claims to be, he could help some of the people who have terminal diseases, right?

And have you caught PTL since Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker left? I remember my mother watching PTL in the early 80's, and at that time it was actually a pretty decent show, aside from their incorrect theology. But the PTL of today is clothed in ostentation that would make most rich people queasy. Everything is gold. Most of the people are white with big hair. They are more often than not overweight. They play country-style gospel music...as if THAT is what's going to appeal to the masses!

Most of the shows on TBN are like PTL in that they have very expensive furniture and the hosts wear very expensive clothes. I think they are trying to get across the point that God has blessed them because they are faithful. In fact, that's what they preach. There's a term for it, it's called "Name it and Claim it." Basically the doctrine is that whatever you pray to God for, if you're living your life correctly, He will give it to you. Just like that. Sheesh....what dolts.

I guess these guys never read the book of Job. Job was a good man, and he prayed to God, but things just got worse. Is this because God is evil? No, it's because God is just. Anyway, that's beside the point. Additionally, the Apostle Paul prayed that a thorn (probably some form of chronic pain) be taken from him. God responded to Paul that God's grace was sufficient. So quit yer belly achin', Paul.

Also they have a regular pledge drive which is just insane. They ask you to "Plant your $1000 seed of Faith" which really means "Hey we need to get some new fancy furniture and some new fancy clothes and our bank account is running low but we don't want people to see that we need money 'cause then they might think that we aren't living a righteous life." They prey on the elderly, the naive, and the ignorant, and sometimes they make me wonder "why am I a Christian?". Oh well, they'll get their just desserts some day.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.