The best kick-ass weapon available in the roguelike game ADOM. It's so insanely powerful that in effect it transforms your character into a sort of demigod, effectively making the rest of the game a real cake walk. Oh, and having this nifty little thing also opens up the possibility of various special endings (called ultra endings in Adomese).


Cool! How do I get it then?

Easy - or not, as the case may be. Just follow these simple steps on your way to victory, but be warned that luck plays a large role in this.

1. First you have to save Khelavaster from a certain death. Please see the appropriate node as to how to do this.

2. Have a chat with Sharad-Waador, the ancient karmic wyrm (you'll find him just above the Mana Temple, very deep down in the Caverns of Chaos). Complete the somewhat torturous quest he gives you.

3. Among the huge heap of stuff Sharad-Waador dumps in front of you will be a nondescript little dagger. If identified, it turns out to be an artifact called Needle, which by itself is quite useless (but united with its partner, Sting... well, that's another story). Bring this dagger to the Assassin Prince. I think you need to be at least level 40 to do this, but of course, by this time you will be anyway.

4. The Assassin Prince will give you an assignment: kill Filk, the quickling bard, who is to be found on the infinite dungeon level that equals your first kill (i.e. if your first kill was a goblin and you have killed 356 goblins by now, then you're in trouble). You can now kill the Assassin Prince if you want, he's useless after giving you the quest and he has some nice stuff you'd probably like to loot.

5. After disposing of Filk, talk to the mad minstrel, to open the cave on the western edge of the map. This will be called the Scintillating Cave and will be a source of huge amounts of corruption. Be warned.

6. Destroy the Emperor Moloch in that cave (this is not as easy as it sounds) to collect the crumpled scroll, which does not seem to have any apparent uses on its own.

7. Take the crumpled scroll to Khelavaster, who should be hanging around in Terinyo by now.

After Khelavaster gets the crumpled scroll, he will launch into action and eventually give you the Trident of the Red Rooster. Small caveat here though: he will not give the trident to Chaotic characters, or fallen champions. Due to a small bug in gamma 15 version, you had to kill him before you got the trident, but of course newer gammas are now available.

Finally, if you don't know where the above-mentioned places are or what the hell I'm talking about, then it's way too early to go after the Trident. Win the game by conventional means first, ok?


Right. Got it. So what does it do?

Here be stats:

Weight: 150s

The blessed red trident is really a blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) {+12, +12} {Ma+24}.

When worn it modifies DV by +12 and PV by +12.

When used in melee combat it grants a +36 bonus to hit and causes 6d12+18 points of damage. When used as a missile it grants a +8 bonus to hit and causes 9d8+16 points of damage.

It is an undead slayer.
It is a demon slayer.
It modifies your mana attribute by +24.
This weapon returns when thrown.
It grants resistance to death attacks.
It grants the ability to see invisible things.
It grants immunity to fire.
It grants immunity to acid.
It grants immunity to cold attacks.
It grants immunity to shock attacks.
It grants the ability to breathe water.

Neat, eh?


To make obtaining the trident as easy as possible, consider also the following:

TotRR is a polearm, so you might like to use spears in the early game to build up your skill with that particular weapon class.

It's also a two-handed weapon, so you can't use a shield at the same time. On the other hand, with this weapon you don't *need* a shield anymore.

Finally, it might be a good idea to make your first kill in the game to be something rather rare. Popular choice seems to be one of the beggars hanging around the outlaw village near Terinyo, as they are very rarely encountered in anywhere else in the game.


The stats came from Andy William's ADOM page at
http://w3.nai.net/~andywlms/adom.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.