Also the term used to refer to the feat performed by the 1999 Manchester United soccer side, who in the course of one season won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Champions League, a haul yet to be matched by any other side in the history of the game.

The three trophies were won within three weeks of each other, the Premier League first, achieved with a 2-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday the 16th of May at Old Trafford (scorers: D Beckham, A Cole). The FA Cup final was held at Wembley Stadium on the following Saturday against Newcastle United, and was won 2-0 with goals from substitute Teddy Sheringham and Paul Scholes.

The big one followed on Wednesday the 26th of May, a day that has since become ingrained into the hearts and minds of United supporters everywhere. 1-0 down to Bayern Munich at Barcelona's Nou Camp stadium, United looked down and out with two minutes remaining. A corner from Beckham was half-heartedly cleared by Bayern, only for Sheringham to stab the ball past the despairing defence. A minute later, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer met another Beckham corner, and United had sewn up the Treble and their place in history.


Nice softlinks, guys! What's your basis for demeaning the biggest achievement ever in the history of the worlds most popular sport?

Tre"ble (?), a. [OE. treble threefold, OF. treble, treible, L. triplus. See Triple.]

1.

Threefold; triple.

A lofty tower, and strong on every side With treble walls. Dryden.

2. Mus. (a)

Acute; sharp; as, a treble sound.

Bacon. (b)

Playing or singing the highest part or most acute sounds; playing or singing the treble; as, a treble violin or voice.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tre"ble, adv.

Trebly; triply.

[Obs.]

J. Fletcher.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tre"ble, n. [" It has been said to be a corruption of triplum [Lat.], a third part, superadded to the altus and bassus (high and low)." Grove.] Mus.

The highest of the four principal parts in music; the part usually sung by boys or women; soprano.

⇒ This is sometimes called the first treble, to distinguish it from the second treble, or alto, which is sung by lower female voices.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tre"ble, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Trebled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Trebling.]

1.

To make thrice as much; to make threefold.

"Love trebled life."

Tennyson.

2.

To utter in a treble key; to whine.

[Obs.]

He outrageously (When I accused him) trebled his reply. Chapman.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tre"ble, v. i.

To become threefold.

Swift.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.