Tove Jansson is the writer and illustrator of the Moomin books, a bizarre and wonderful series of children's stories about a trio of little Finnish trolls and their friends and neighbours: good reading for adults tooo, as it's basically about an unconventional but loving family.
Born in 1914, Jansson grew up in Helsinki as the oldest child of an artist/cartoonist and a sculptor. She studied applied arts in Sweden, Finland, Germany, Italy, France and London, and also had something of a career as a painter. She began the Moomin series in 1945 with the tale of The Little Trolls and The Great Flood, and carried on with the tales until 1971. She never married, and spent much of her writing life on a small, remote island off the coast of Finland, where some of her books are set.


 

Stop press, June 27, 2001: Tove Jansson died today in Helsinki, aged 86, after a long illness. She has no known surviving relatives, but her countless readers will all be very sorry to see her go.

I was a very big fan of her books when I was younger. My mum and dad read most of the Moomintroll books to me when I was a child. Later I've read a few of her short stories in school, but didn't really find them interesting. Somehow girls tend to like them more (yessss... there are exceptions.... I'm sure of that).

Tove Jansson apperently was a lesbian and that explains, why she never married. There was some talk in Finland, about her chances of getting a Nobel Prize, but now after her death does talks can be stop (atleast to my knowledge Nobels are only given to alive people, but I may be wrong), which is a pitty because she really would have deserved more recognition for her work. Her books are strangely connected with the Real World. Comet in Moominland is especially intresting and pretty much sums up the fear felt by most of the world's population during the Cold War.

It feel bad when all your old and new favorite writers die. First Adams then this... Not a good year

Just have to make sure nobody sues me on this: I'm not completely sure about her sexual orientation, not that it really is our business anyway ...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.