Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean. Legendary ice dancing pair of the 1980s and 1990s; gold medalists at the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo and the first pair to achieve a straight perfect 6.0 score for artistic impression at the Olympics, a feat they repeated later that year at the world championship in Ottawa. Also the first pair to be given a perfect 6.0 for technical merit at any major ice skating competition, something they were awarded by three of the judges in Sarajevo.

They first teamed up in 1975 and their trailblazing partnership, on the ice or as choreographers for other couples, lasts until today. After the Sarajevo Olympics, they turned professional and didn't return to the Olympics until 1994 in Lillehammer, where they put in a performance as good as any they'd made in the past and won a controversial bronze medal in a scene that saw the most persistent booing any audience has bestowed upon a panel of judges. Together they also won the British National Championship in 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1994; the European Championship in 1981, 1982, 1984 and 1994; and were world champions in 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1984. They were equally successful on the professional circuit, becoming world professional champions in 1984, 1985, 1990, 1995 and 1996.

While Dean was responsible for most of their choreography, they worked together from 1987 onwards choreographing other pairs including great names such as the Duchesnays, Kurt Browning and Tara Lipinski and creating shows for Stars on Ice. Both also worked on separate projects. Their groundbreaking Bolero of 1983/4, in which they defied conventions and bent the rules to breathe a new spirit into ice dancing, is their most memorable performance.

Torvill and Dean quit skating in 1998 after winning pretty much every honour there is to be won in ice skating. A constant source of national pride and both rather typically English, their popular nickname was "Their Greatness" and they rivalled Prince Charles and Princess Diana in popularity in their heyday. They also lasted longer. They both hold the Freedom of their native City of Nottingham, meaning they can freely drive their sheep across the city square. It does not mention whether they may skate across it too but, according to long-time Nottingham resident wertperch, Dean is said to have been seen rollerskating across the square.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.