I like to to fry
my own tortilla chips. I find they are much tasty-er
, any I eat them with out any salsa
or whatnot. Here is how I do it:
- Take some tortillas, corn ones, I like Mission brand, but whatever.
- Cut them into pieces, mostly I use 1/6ths for 9 in. tortillas, but sometimes I make long thin strips.
- Heat about 1/2 in. of vegetable oil until its hot enough that when you flick a little water on it the oil bubbles, but doesn?t spatter. (Anyone know what temp. that is?)
- Add a little salt to the oil, if you like, mix it a little until it?s more dissolved.
- Put in some tortilla pieces in the oil, after a few seconds, after they start to curl, flip them. You do this to keep them from getting too curly, and coming out of the oil.
- Depending on how you like them, cook from transparent, crispy level to light brown level. The darker they are, the more corn-y flavor, the lighter, the more delicate.
- Let them sit on a paper bag or piece of a paper towel
Well, thats the extent on my cooking ability.