Tortellini with Mushrooms

You will need:

  • olive oil
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 10.5oz cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 1-2 cans liquid (chicken, beef or veggie stock, or water)
  • 2-3 large portabella caps
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic to taste
  • 1 9 oz. pack tortellinis (about 3 cups)
  • 1 small (6oz) can sweet peas
  • salt and pepper to taste
Slice or cube the mushrooms, mince the garlic. Saute onion, garlic, and portabella in the bottom of a large pot, until onions soften and the mushrooms are darkened. Add soups and liquid and bring to a slow boil. You will need to add the liquid slowly- you want enough for the tortellinis to absorb some liquid, but don't add so much they're floating in a soup. Experiment, and watch it carefully- you can always add more liquid if you think its getting too thick. Add peas, tortellini, and salt/pepper to taste. Stir the mix well, until the condensed soup is smooth. Bring back up to a boil, then turn down and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until the tortellini is tender and the condesed soup is a nice thick consistancy. Serves 4.

This recipe, like all the things I cook, is very flexible in its preparation. If you love garlic put more in! If you don't like garlic, don't put any in. The same goes for the peas. I prefer to use a vegetable stock instead of the water required for the condesed soup- it brings more flavor to the dish. Its easy enough to find a pre-made meat or vegetable stock at a supermarket, but water is fine if you prefer. I love this dish with some sliced water chestnuts thrown in last minute. Timing does not have to be exact with this dish, cooking is an art, not a science.

This recipe was brought to you from the kitchen of MaggieRiley.
mmm tasty

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.