Torquay United are an association football club based in Torquay, UK. They currently play in Coca-Cola League Two. Their current head coach is Leroy Rosinior, and their home ground is (and has been since their formation) Plainmoor, which currently has a capacity of 6,995.

2004-2005 season

Head coach Leroy Rosenior had said during the close season that staying up would be a far bigger acheivement than gaining promotion. Unfortunately, this was proved to be correct when, at the end of the seaon, the Gulls faced the drop back down the the Coca-cola League Two. Towards the end of the season, the team had an amazing run of five wins in a row which looked to have pulled them to safetly. On the last day of the season, the Gulls travelled to Colchester knowing that only if they lost and Milton Keynes Dons won AND Oldham Athletic won would they face relegation. This was, however, exactly what happened -- MK Dons scoring four minutes from time to seal Torquay's fate.

So United now face another seaon in the League's basement division. Fans will wait to see which players will be retained -- relegation meaning that star-midfielder Alex Russell will almost certainly move on -- and to see if Rosenior himself will still be in charge come the start of the new season. Let's go for the title next season :-)

2003-2004 season

For the first time since 1966 Torquay United finished the seaon in an automatic promotion place. Finishing in third place in division three (above forth-placed Huddersfield Town on only goal difference). Huddersfield did also find promotion through the play-offs

Next season, the Gulls will play in Division Two, which has been newly renamed Coca-Cola League One due to stupid decisions by the Football League's new sponsor.

Older History

Formed in 1899 as Torquay Town, they became Torquay United in 1921, by the amalgamation of Torquay Town and Babbacombe football clubs, the club was promoted to the Football League (into the then, Division 3 South) and played their first league game on 27th August, 1927 against local rivals Exeter City, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

They remained in Division Tree South untill it was split into the national divisions Three and Four when they placed in the bottom half. Since then they have been promoted three times to the third, in 1960, 1966 and 1991, the last of these after winning a play-off final at Wembley against Blackpool in a Penalty shoot-out.

None of these periods of promotion lasted long, though, and Torquay have remained in the basement division since relegation to the renamed (since the formation of the Premership) Third Division in 1992.

They are currently under the ownership of chairman Mike Bateson and the management of Ex-England player Leroy Rosenior.

Club Records

  • Attendance: 21908: vs Huddersfield Town 29/01/1955 FA Cup R4
  • Gate receipts: 26205: vs Exeter City 01/01/1992 Division 3
  • Best league win: 9 - 0: vs Swindon Town 08/03/1952 Division 3S
  • Worst league loss: 2 - 10: vs Fulham 07/09/1931 Division 3S
  • Best cup win: 7 - 1: vs Northampton Town 14/11/1959 FA Cup R1
  • Most capped player: None
  • League appearances: Dennis Lewis: 443 1947/59
  • League goals: Sammy Collins: 204 1948/58
  • Goals in a season: Sammy Collins: 40 1955/56 Division 3S
  • Transfer fee received: £650,000: Rodney Jack Crewe July 1998
  • Transfer fee paid: £100,000: Leon Constantine Peterborough March 2005

Sources:
Torquay United Official Website (http://www.torquayunited.com)
BBC Devon (http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon)
Torquay United - The Official Centenary History, by Leigh Edwards, Jon Gibbes and John Lovis.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.