Toradol (keterolac tromethamine) is an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (like aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium) that is available by prescription only. It's like a beefed up version of these drugs, and is indicated for control of severe acute pain at the opioid level. It doesn't have the same potential for abuse as the opioids (codeine, morphine, demerol, etc.) but it does have some pretty serious side effects. It can cause gastrointestinal bleeding, and ulcers, as well as kidney problems and decreased blood clotting. Toradol is only recommended for use for 5 days, and it's recommended that the oral tablets always be taken on a full stomach to reduce the chance of getting a bleeding ulcer. Regardless, Toradol seems to cause an upset stomach. (The IV injection also causes these effects) Use of Toradol can be combined with opioid use, resulting in analgesia with less opioid.

Toradol is not meant for minor or chronic pain. There's also that blood thinning effect which makes it no good for anyone having an operation, and there's also good reasons why pregnant and nursing moms shouldn't take it.(It's really strong and has the afore mentioned serious side effects. You can also only use it for 5 days. It's for short-term serious pain.) I know only of only 2 cases where I've seen Toradol prescribed; one for someone passing kidney stones, and one for extremely severe menstrual cramping. (Going on the birth control pill seems to have been a much better treatment for the latter.)

Full product monograph: http://www.rocheusa.com/products/toradol/pi.pdf

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.