A singer/songwriter and a dreamy little human who told stories through song. He was country for sure, mixed with a bit of folk and perhaps a smathering of some other strange stuff, possibly bluegrass is what I'm thinking of. It doesn't seem that many people know who he is anymore, but I find something infinitely alluring about his music.. whether it be the simplish but nice lyrics or the comfort of old country, I know not, I just like him quite a bit.

He served in the army and was stationed in Germany for about four years where he performed original mostly comedic material. Not surprising considering there is an element of humor in a lot of his post-war music, too. (See: I Like Beer) His albums include "Country Songs for Children", "Loves lost and found", "The Rhymer and Other Five and Dimers", among many others. Actually, he put out an album in 1996, "Songs from Sopchoppy". I'm not sure if he's still alive now, though.

My dad has one of his albums, Greatest Hits Volume II.. there is a track on it called, "I Care". One day when I was sitting there at my computer kind of glum and quite sad.. my dad slipped the cd into my cdrom and put it on that track and stuck the headphones on me. I cried.. because, well, it was immeasurably needed and made me intensely sad at the same time. It's a slow, almost lullaby-ish tune. Very sweet.

I was fortunate to share Tom T. Hall's declared hometown of Olive Hill, Kentucky for a short while. That is, it is no longer my or Mr. Hall's hometown. I moved to Indianapolis at the age of 11. Tom's legacy was in the form of a painted caboose resting at the top of a hill across from Gee's Bestway. Apparently Tom came to the same conclusion as my family did in that he didn't want to be associated with such a redneck armpit of a town, and so collected his caboose and took the next train out of there. So if you're ever lost in Kentucky, look for the indentation where Tom's caboose once stood.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.