The original writeup tells of the virtues of returning to nature and abandoning the consumer culture of 'use it and throw it away' ending with the slogan "Boycott toilets! Crap in your own back yard!"

My point is that toilets are a byproduct of modern civilisation; in a strange way they epitomise where mankind is going wrong. An environment in which we could roam freely and bury our crap where we pleased would mean a nicer and more natural world.


I live in an apartment building. While it is all well and good to say 'crap in your own back yard', the simple fact is - I don't have one. Neither am I about to put my bum over the railing and annoy those below me - I don't want the ones above me doing that either. Similarly, chamber pots are out of the question. The vast majority of people don't enjoy having feces and urine thrown at them or have to deal with it when driving down the road.

Similar problems arise at work where privacy becomes much more of an issue and while some would enjoy the perversion of seeing the secretary hike up her skirt out and scoot out a the window this is not a universally agreed upon sentiment - especially when your car is parked below the window.

At the heart of this is balance of the ecosystem. The population densities of urban areas have produce tons of feces each day. And while walking into the field to take a dump, it is a long walk to such a field that can handle such extreme amounts of crap in areas such as New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Chicago. When each family group had several acres of land themselves you could crap in your own back yard and do well. Urban areas have nowhere near enough room to handle such fecal policies - they still have trouble with a much smaller population of dogs in parks.

While it is quite easy to make the statement 'everyone should have enough room to crap in their back yard', it is this urban density and concentrated work forces that allow for such things as our modern society to be built. If it wasn't for toilets, there would be no E2. And I'm not just talking about subject matter.

The question of hygiene and sanitary conditions also becomes an issue - especially with diseases that are cropping up today. Backyards could become minefields of flesh eating bacteria or other fun parasites (which are not uncommon in areas where toilets do not exist). Few people wish to return to the sanitary conditions where the spread of cholera is unchecked.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.