This recipe is one I have invented and reinvented. The beauty of stuffed peppers is that if you begin with a good pepper, you can stuff it with just about anything for a fabulous dish. I use poblanos because they have a great flavor, and are a little spicy.

Ingredients:


6-8 medium poblano peppers
1lb tofu
1/2 bag frozen corn
1 medium onion
1tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
2 cloves garlic
1/2 bunch cilantro
olive oil

Optional:
cheese: Monterrey Jack or experiment with a lighter Mexican cheese

Spice Variations:
oregano
thyme
marjoram

Seed the peppers by cutting out the stem area and pulling out the seeds. Poblano seeds tend to be spicy, so remove as many as possible. Roast the peppers, the easiest way is in the broiler. If you have a gas stove, you can also roast the peppers on top and then seed them once they are cooled. After the peepers are roasted, gently remove the skin. With poblanos, you don’t have to worry about leaving some of the skin. I generally remove only what peels away easily.

Sauté remaining ingredients beginning with the onions, spices and tofu and adding the remaining ingredients towards the end. Remove from heat and let cool. Stuff the peppers with the tofu mixture and place in a lightly oiled glass baking dish. Bake covered in a preheated oven at 350 F for about forty minutes.

I recommend serving with an ancho or mole sauce, rice and beans.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.