Clove House, Newtown, NJ,

2 March, 1774

Dearest Catharine, 

I have spoken at length with your father and I belive I have made some progress in mollifying his anger, which continues to flare even after these many months.  He loves you deeply--as we both do--but fears for your soul. Although he will not speak the words, I know that part of his anger is concern for his own reputation as well as that of the entire family, especially your younger sisters. It was most kind of the Parmenter family to take you in when it became apparent that you needed to leave Newtown for propriety's sake, but we knew even then it was a short-lived solution.  They are distant cousins and kindly people, but as you insist on keeping this child, you both will need a more permanent home.

I have been in correspondence with your great-aunt Eleanor, in Virginia. She has space and means to take you in, and has graciously agreed to be your host. It is expected that you will be able to put your skills as a needlewoman to work, to help offset the expenses associated with your room and board. You will also be a comfort and a help to Aunt Eleanor, who has been widowed for many years. Your father is unaware of the this plan, as are your sisters; their innocence will be preserved, as will Papa's integrity as a man of the cloth.

I have mentioned to the ladies at Bible study that your health has been poor. As Bess Warren's brother-in-law is a doctor in Staten Island, I have promised her that I would pass his name on to you. No one other than I knows that you will be headed to Virginia; in this manner your trail leads East, while you travel South. 

I fear it may be a long time before I see your smile and hold your hands in mine. Until that time know that you are in my prayers and that I remain 

Your loving Mother

***

Rivington’s New-York Gazetteer, No. 64, July 8, 1774

It was with great sorrow that on this past Tuesday, 5 July, the Reverend Hugh Haggerty, of Newtown, Sussex-county, East New-Jersey presided over the funeral of his beloved wife of fifty-three years, Norah Haggerty. Preceded in death by her parents, Doctor and Mrs. Benjamin Thomas of Blairstown, New Jersey, Mrs. Haggerty is survived by her husband and four daughters. Mrs. Haggerty will be remembered as a loving mother and faithful wife. Proverbs 31:31: "Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."

 

***

Rivington’s New-York Gazetteer, No. 72, Sept 2, 1774

Whereas Catharine, the daughter of Hugh Haggerty, of Newtown, Sussex-county, East New-Jersey, left her parents in the month of November last, was then placed at Hackensack, where she learned the taylor’s business; but being afflicted with the rheumatism went from thence the middle of March, giving out that she was going to consult a Doctor on Staten Island, but not having been heard of since that time, this advertisement is published in hopes of obtaining some information of her. Therefore as her family, inexpressibly unhappy on account of her absence, is exceedingly anxious for her return, they give her this public assurance of their readiness to receive her with the utmost tenderness; and they also intreat those who may know where she now is, to communicate some tidings of her to the said Hugh Haggerty, or to the Printer.

 

 

QUEST: TELL ME A STORY

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.