A now-defunct alternative rock band originally founded in Santa Barbara, CA that broke up in 1998. The band members were:Toad originally took its name from a Monty Python sketch.

Toad's albums are:

Hit songs by Toad have included "All I Want," "Walk On The Ocean," "Fall Down," and "Something's Always Wrong."

Discography source: Toad the WWWet Sprocket, <http://kornfeld.kellogg.nwu.edu/toad/> Additional material supplied by Silverwrist.

Though Toad The Wet Sprocket officially broke up in 1998, they did a "reunion" tour in 2002 with Counting Crows. Despite the numerous intimations that the tour was the start of a Toad revival, it wasn't to be.

Glen Phillips has continued to pursue his solo career, and has released one studio-produced album (Albulum), along with a few live recordings. Glen is also involved with a project called Mutual Admiration society - a combination of himself, Nickel Creek, and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin.

The remaining members of Toad The Wet Sprocket continued together, forming the band Lapdog - who has released one album.

There's an interesting story tied up with the name of this band.

It came from a Monty Python sketch, yes, but more specifically, it came from one called "Rock Notes" which was basically a call-in show about the latest bands. All of the bands have silly names, but "Toad the Wet Sprocket" is the silliest. Apparently, the Monty Python members tried to come up with a name so obtuse that it would never, ever be the name of a real band.

According to Eric Idle, when he heard of the actual band on the radio, he nearly drove his car off the road.

Also: According to user atlas, Philips performed part of the Rock Notes sketch with a friend in high school and fell in love with the name then.

Sources:

This band is definitely on the lighter side when it comes to bands that became successful in the 1990s, at least in sound. Their tracks are musically upbeat; they're the kind of stuff that you'd listen to in the car on a long drive. They're the songs you'd cover when your band wants a few tracks to lengthen the setlist at your first real gig.

Their message? Still somewhat cynical. 'Chile' is about the dictatorship in that country and the life that its people lead. 'Crazy Life' is a protest song about the imprisonment of Leonard Peltier. 'Way Away' is, at my best guess, an idea of what would go through someone's head during their own funeral.

With that last one, you'd be hard-pressed to realize that by listening to the music. It's upbeat. It's catchy. It's really, really good.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.