To The Man on the hill,

I'm sorry. I imagine you have family somewhere. They probably miss you, and for that I apologise. I know it doesn't add up. What I did wasn't nice, but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. It wasn't personal, I want you to know that. If circumstances had been different I would never have done what I did.

I am fairly certain though that if our situations had been different, that you would have done the same thing. I wouldn't have blamed you if you had, and I hope you don't blame me. While I'm sure that you did some bad things in your life, I'm also pretty sure that you did a lot of good things too. Whatever you have done you didn't deserve to get shot.

Maybe I should have waited a little longer, but everyone was real tense. You stood on the hill, and you were waving a rifle and shouting. I don't speak your language, so I don't know if you were cursing me or trying to surrender. Even if I did speak Arabic, you were too far away, I couldn't hear your words. I just saw that rifle, and you, waving your arms.

Some of the people with me were very good friends of mine. I was frightened that you may shoot at us and injure one of them, or myself. I did what I thought was right. I protected them, and myself. I'm sorry that meant you had to die. you were a casualty of a difference of opinion between our governments. That isn't a good reason to die. I thought you were endangering my friends and my own life. That was a good reason to die, given the circumstances.

If we meet again some day, I hope you understand. If we meet again, I'd like to talk with you, find out what kind of person you are. We might have been friends. If only you didn't have that rifle. If you didn't have that rifle I probably wouldn't have shot you.

I'm sorry.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.