Tippi Hedren followed in Grace Kelly's footsteps as an actress who portrayed ice cold blondes with inner vunerabilities. She became famous when cast in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and Marnie. In fact Hitchcock was obsessed with Kelly and tried to mold Hedren in her image. Apparently the situation became very uncomfortable for Hedren (so she says on A&E's Biography of Hitchcock).

"Tippi" was born Nathalie Hedren on 19 January 1935 in New Ulm, Minnesota. Tippi started a career as a fashion model in New York. There she met and married Peter Griffith, giving birth to their daughter Melanie Griffith in 1957. Alfred Hitchcock saw her on a commercial on TV and sought her out to star in The Birds.

Since her first films with Hitchcock, Hedren has been in several dozen movies and TV shows, none of which are memorable to me however. I vaguely remember the movie Pacific Heights in which Hedren appeared with her real-life daughter Melanie Griffith.

Hedren is very involved in charity, focusing on food for the hungry and disaster relief. She also became enamored with big cats during the filming of Satan's Harvest which was filmed in Africa amidst some tame lions. Since then she developed a wildlife sanctuary called The Roar Foundation's Shambala Preserve in California (see www.shambala.org).

Thanks to imdb.com for details.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.