Animated Warner Bros. series from the early 90s (or 90's). Apparently taking note of the 'let's-make-our-famous-characters-young' trend started by Muppet Babies, Warner Bros. decided to create a show featuring younger versions of their popular Looney Tunes characters. Fortunately, rather than simply regress the main characters (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.) to kids, they created all-new characters to populate the series.

The kids were in their early teens, and while they tended to take after their older counterparts, they still had their own unique personalities. They attended Acme Looniversity, where they learned all about being cartoons, from cartoon physics to sight gags. Their instructors were the older (and presumably wiser) favorites ('The teaching staff's/Been getting laughs/Since 1933!').

The cast:

  • Buster Bunny, the unofficial leader, he idolized Bugs. Often (but not always) cool and in charge of any bad situation.
  • Babs Bunny (no relation), Buster's sidekick and part-time love interest. Babs, unlike most of the other Tiny Toons, had no mentor to look up to. Until she discovered an early female Warner Bros. character, Honey. Babs (voiced by the inimitable Tress MacNeille) was a bit on the crazy side, launching into wild diatribes on a moment's notice and using a wide range of voice impressions to do so.
  • Plucky Duck, a practical carbon-copy of mentor Daffy, Plucky was constantly cooking up crazy schemes and dragging poor Hampton along with them.
  • Hampton Pig was insecure and usually willing to follow Plucky's crazy schemes. Looked up to Porky Pig, who was more confident, despite his trademark stutter (which Hampton did not have).
  • Dizzy Devil could have been cloned from the Tasmanian Devil, except for the fact that he's purple.
  • Gogo Dodo, one certifiably crazy being.
  • Shirley the Loon, a new age, Valley girl loon, in to meditation, astrology, and auras. Known for chanting, "Owa Taloo Niam."
  • Fifi La Fume, a purple-and-white skunk, was nearly as amorous as Pepe Le Pew, but a little less errant in her attractions. Had a penchant for odd little cutsey phrases.
  • Calamity Coyote and Little Beeper. Calamity took Wile E. Coyote's genius and bad luck to new hights, while Little Beeper (a girl) always escaped his clutches. In retrospect, one wonders just what Calamity was after.
  • Furrball and Sweetie were the philosophical heirs of Sylvester and Tweety. You do the math.
  • Montana Max was a spoiled rich kid who was often causing trouble. Babs and Buster annoyed him to no end. Has a temperment comparable to that of Yosimite Sam.
  • Elmyra, an incredibly annoying brat of a young girl who was dumber than a rock; her singular purpose in life was to collect poor defenseless animals and love them and hug them and squeeeeeeeze them. Fortunately, Babs and Buster were not defenseless. Unfortunately, Furrball was.

Tiny Toon Adventures was produced by Steven Spielberg. Its success led directly to the creation of Animaniacs!.

Franchise of 16-bit video games based on the above.
Subtitle: "Buster's Hidden Treasure"
Sega Mega Drive
Developed by Konami
Published by Sega, 1993

Excellent platform game developed in tandem with SNES Tiny Toons (Buster Busts Loose?), although not a port of that game. In effect a hybrid of Super Mario World's map system with Sonic The Hedgehog's speed and graphical conventions.

Extremely challenging, requiring Buster to make pixel-perfect leaps, a task that the eminently responsive controls generally make more enjoyable than frustrating. Konami's usual obsessive quality control is in evidence, with the perfect difficulty curve and satisfying feedback creating an irresistable urge for just one more go. Thankfully, there is a password system.

Certainly not a game for children, unless you want to teach them that life is uncompromisingly brutal, especially to fluffy animals.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.