AKA Dennis Fong. Thresh is widely known as the ultimate Quake god. Long time champion of the PGL, he never lost a tournament of either Quake or Quake II. Leader of the Death Row clan. Feats include twice losing during a final PGL match only to rocket jump back to victory at the last minute, as well as handily defeating the British Quake II champion with a ridiculous frag count of +52 to -3.

See also :mouser, deathmatch

Recently he has more or less retired from the quake championship circuit. A real-life friend of mine (Tetsuo) has beaten him in Clan matches twice before and is signed up for the National Championship in Dallas - Thresh isn't. Certainly he was the first great player and like Tony Hawk he will always be a household name, but his days look like they are numbered. As of early 2000, he has yet to sign up for a large-sized tournament; my guess is that he won't in order to retire with a good reputation (and continue making lots of money training other players.)

His handle comes from Threshhold which he used on MUDs before he got into doom (and quake). He guarded his reputation well, because he knew it's value. He only lost one "published" duel, to a clanmate Reptile (both were clanmates back in DR days), and this virtually unbeaten rep is what holds his name so high.

However, he was really rarely #1, as even during his quake career he was cautious about picking his fights as a professional gamer (most notably, he skipped TGI - True Gamers Invitational, the biggest convention of global quake1 players, even though he was invited).

This is not to say, however, that he doesn't deserve his title. He did a *lot* in the quake community by just being #1, and quit quake for the love of the game (however ironic) and started gamers.com with some of his friends, a site devoted to games like, and including, quake. Oh yeah, even in the early quakeworld days, he kicked MikeJ's butt (an accomplished canadian player who was top #1 in the quakeworld charts at the time, back when quakeworld HAD centralized charts, as none exist today due to abuse thereof).

You can find a thresh faq on gamers.com

Thrash (?), Thresh (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Thrashed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Thrashing.] [OE. reschen, reshen, to beat, AS. erscan, rescan; akin to D. dorschen, OD. derschen, G. dreschen, OHG. dreskan, Icel. reskja, Sw. troska, Dan. taerske, Goth. riskan, Lith. traszketi to rattle, Russ. treskate to burst, crackle, tresk' a crash, OSlav. troska a stroke of lighting. Cf. Thresh.]

1.

To beat out grain from, as straw or husks; to beat the straw or husk of (grain) with a flail; to beat off, as the kernels of grain; as, to thrash wheat, rye, or oats; to thrash over the old straw.

The wheat was reaped, thrashed, and winnowed by machines. H. Spencer.

2.

To beat soundly, as with a stick or whip; to drub.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thrash, Thresh, v. t.

1.

To practice thrashing grain or the like; to perform the business of beating grain from straw; as, a man who thrashes well.

2.

Hence, to labor; to toil; also, to move violently.

I rather would be Maevius, thrash for rhymes, Like his, the scorn and scandal of the times. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thresh (?), v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Threshed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Threshing.]

Same as Thrash.

He would thresh, and thereto dike and delve. Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.