The letter described in Webster 1913 definition 4 below is þ, capital form Þ.

To create this letter in HTML, use þ or Þ.

compiled overview of the 20ton Thorn 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The Thorn is an older BattleMech design, incorporated into the Hegemony Armed Forces during the late twenty-fourth century. It was the first 'Mech to incorporate the Endo Steel II skeleton. The skeleton used an alloy produced by mixing high strength steel with lower density titanium and aluminum in a zero-G environment. The resulting alloy was twice as strong per unit of weight as alloys created using conventional techniques, but also bulkier.

The Thorn's main armament consists of two medium lasers. The design is noted as a "cool running" 'Mech, but the placement of one laser directly under the pilot's feet commonly deceives the MechWarrior into believing the Thorn is running hotter than the systems indicate. Extensive cooling is provided in the cockpit area, but the lack of an effective venting system for the medium laser makes repeated firing uncomfortable for the pilot.

The Zeus long-range missile system is extremely accurate, and the arm mount allows the pilot to switch targets quickly. If damaged, the entire system can be replaced in a few hours. This is a fortunate feature, because the launcher can easily be destroyed if the 'Mech engages in hand-to-hand combat. The missile feed system, which routes reloads from the torso storage compartment, is average at best. If damaged, reloads can become lodged in the upper arm, where additional damage has been known to cause detonation, destroying the arm.

The Thorn has received mixed reviews throughout its service. Opponents of the design note that a 'Mech cannot hit what it cannot reach. Though the 120 Class engine allows the 'Mech to run at a respectable speed, its lack of jump jets leaves the Thorn at a disadvantage if its target jumps behind a stand of trees or a convenient hill. The Zeus LRM system only partially offsets the diminished pursuit ability.

Supporters of the design point out that the Thorn packs more punch per ton and carries more armor than other 'Mechs in its weight class. In a toe-to-toe slugfest, the Thorn can usually reduce an opponent of equal weight to scrap within minutes. Front-line units using the Thorn consider a higher survivability rate an acceptable trade-off for decreased maneuverability. In addition, sensible weapon placement and ease of maintenance have earned the design high marks from technicians. The arms and legs are completely accessible, allowing a service crew to actually enter the limbs and work on repairs from the inside.

Like the Hussar, the Thorn was designed to serve in frontline combat units as a quick-reaction fire support platform, rather than a scout. Based on this goal, its inability to jump was not considered detrimental. Nonetheless, the many commanders who tried to use all light 'Mechs as scouts found the Thorn to be all but useless. The close-in ambush engagements that scouts typically face negated the firepower of the Zeus LRMs, and the 'Mech did not have sufficient speed to quickly break off an engagement.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Also called Thurisaz (note that for the record I believe that the true origins of the runes were not named with letters that the futhark itself did not contain, thus Thurisaz could not be true as they had no z in their language.).

Divination: A rune testing and challenge. Also as protection and defense, both in passive (bramble fences) or active (Thor himself as guardian) nature. Protection from ones own folly
Reversed: Beware of protecting yourself from things you need, of others trying to protect you for there own needs.

Visually represents Thor's hammer, can also be seen as a thorn on a rose, beautiful yet can hurt if care isnt taken

Often transcribed in print and in Olde Tea Shoppe signs as "y". Apparently European typesetters thought the glyphs looked similar, so they chose y to represent Þ (þ) for which they had no block.

The letter þ is not called thorn by linguists without reason - it is the name of the letter in the Icelandic language. Every letter has its own name, like ð, which has the name eth, p, which has the name pyea, f, which has the name eff and j, which has the name yawth.

Above I've tried to write the names so that native English speakers will say them correctly - the Icelandic names are however as follows:
þ  |  þorn
ð  |  eð
p  |  pé
f  |  eff
j  |  joð

As is mentioned in the Icelandic Pronunciation node, the vowels follow a 'what you see is what you get' pattern - they almost always have the same pronunciation. Thus, the names of the vowels consist only of that vowel.

In elementary school, the children are told: "The vowels can all say their names on their own, but the consonants need some vowels to help them say their names".

Thorn (?), n. [AS. þorn; akin to OS. & OFries. thorn, D. doorn, G. dorn, Dan. torn, Sw. torne, Icel. þorn, Goth. þaarnus; cf. Pol. tarn, Russ. tern' the blackthorn, ternie thorns, Skr. t[.r][.n]a grass, blade of grass. 53.]

1.

A hard and sharp-pointed projection from a woody stem; usually, a branch so transformed; a spine.

2. Bot.

Any shrub or small tree which bears thorns; especially, any species of the genus Crataegus, as the hawthorn, whitethorn, cockspur thorn.

3.

Fig.: That which pricks or annoys as a thorn; anything troublesome; trouble; care.

There was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me. 2 Cor. xii. 7.

The guilt of empire, all its thorns and cares, Be only mine. Southern.

4.

The name of the Anglo-Saxon letter þ, capital form Þ. It was used to represent both of the sounds of English th, as in thin, then. So called because it was the initial letter of thorn, a spine.

Thorn apple Bot., Jamestown weed. -- Thorn broom Bot., a shrub that produces thorns. -- Thorn hedge, a hedge of thorn-bearing trees or bushes. -- Thorn devil. Zool. See Moloch, 2. -- Thorn hopper Zool., a tree hopper (Thelia crataegi) which lives on the thorn bush, apple tree, and allied trees.

 

© Webster 1913.


Thorn, v. t.

To prick, as with a thorn.

[Poetic]

I am the only rose of all the stock That never thorn'd him. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.