Thomas Moore was born in 1779 on May 28, in Dublin Ireland to John and Anastasia Codd Moore. His parents were grocers and as he grew up, his family was considered to be "poor." In 1786, Moore attended English Grammar school where Samuel Whyte was headmaster. This school at the time was the best school in Dublin. Moore also made an appearance on stage, before he turned to his first love of writing.

In October of 1793, Moore's first writing appeared in print with verses in Anthologia Hibernica, which was a Dublin magazine. After this first publication; he attended Latin School, in preparation for Trinity College. It was here that he met two of his closest friends, Robert Emmet and Edward Hudson.

After graduation, Moore had several works published with the most famous one being, Odes of Anacreon. In 1803, Moore was offered the position of Irish Laureate but declined. After his friend Emmet was hanged, he left for Bermuda as registrar of admiralty prize- court. While in Bermuda, he writes more poetry, and continues to write political satire.

In 1816, Moore returned to Ireland where he spent the rest of his life. He continues to publish more poems and books. In fact, one of the critics of a collection is challenged to a duel, based on his response. In 1841, his collected works, a ten volume set was published, The Poetical Works of Thomas Moore, Collected by Himself. Frederick the Great of Prussia gave Moore the Order of Merit in 1842 and in 1849, he slipped in to dementia, which he would never recover from. February 25, 1852, Thomas Moore died.

Information for this node was taken from http://www.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~matsuoka/Moore.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.