The liquid engineers left the pool
heater on too long, and at night chlorine vapors
rose above the plant life on my planet and I
imagined my flesh,
being inside the pool, being warm and protected, feeling
gravity, but able to mock it as I floated. Would
you float with me now, if I asked you, would you jump into the
pool and not even bother to strip? Could I strip you
down, remove your clothing and we would fall inside the water together?


It scares me.


I don't want to lose you. I can't imagine ever feeling this
strongly about anything or anybody ever again.

This was my unexpected, my
soul's connection to you.


You stole my loneliness.
No one knows that I was wishing for you, a thief, to enter my
house of autonomy, that I had locked my doors but my
Windows were open, hoping, but not believing, you
would enter.



- appreciated from "Microserfs", by Douglas Coupland

i never suspected this. ever. i just needed someone, just needed to be a tiny bit less alone. just needed to stop flailing, needed a brief place to rest, and a tiny place to be sheltered from the waves that were overwhelming me.

never expected this. never expected YOU i had no idea who you were. at all. all i knew was you were a friend, who i could trust, even if you couldnt heal, not to hurt. i knew that much.

and thats what i found, at first. a friend, who wanted me too, for the same thing--less loneliness. but then i found a confidante. and then a love. and then a forever.

we found our souls talked in ways we never thought possible. we found they were more alike than we ever dreamed or hoped for. and we gradually found they'd been woven together over the ages, a thing neither suspected in the least, when we tried to cling to one another to avoid drowning for the first time. neither ever though this was possible. that this closeness existed in this world. neither came looking for this. but we found each other in ways we though impossible to find anyone, at all. This was unexpected, my soul's connection to you, my love. but i'd not trade it for anything in this universe. because i've found you now, and i know what you are. and the connection we've formed many times before grows once again.

Who are you? Where have you been?

Why is it that merely watching your breath rise and fall lights a fire so fierce and deep within me it hurts? What is this golden thread strung between us, taut and tight as a laser beam? Why does it sing in the warm, lazy breeze of an afternoon, shouting in the calm of the approaching storm?

What is this place that unfolds like a gilden lotus blossom? Why does space and time warp and twist between us, no matter the distance? Why do you smell of a memory never remembered?

Where did you come from, so suddenly, so swiftly, that you shake my heart like a crystalline snow globe, stirring up the beautiful sediments I never knew I had?

Who are you, and where have you been?

And why am I so blissfully afraid?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.