The Counting Crows released their third album, This Desert Life in November of 1999 on Interscope records, after what was, to me, an excruciatingly long wait. I've been a fan since I saw them on SNL way back when Mr. Jones was a huge hit, and it seems they space their album releases out just enough to drive me insane. I didn't even think they'd put one out, aside from "August and Everything After", because they took so long to release "Recovering the Satellites".

"This Desert Life" is actually a pretty amazing album, much more than I'd expected from them, too. There are a couple tracks that don't impress me too entirely much, but for the most part it's quite nice.

Track Listing:
1.  Hangin' Around - 4:07 
2.  Mrs. Potter's Lullaby - 7:46 
3.  Amy Hit the Atmosphere - 4:36 
4.  Four Days - 3:28 
5.  All My Friends - 4:49 
6.  High Life - 6:20 
7.  Colorblind - 3:23 
8.  I Wish I Was a Girl - 5:53 
9.  Speedway - 3:44 
10. St. Robinson in His Cadillac Dream - 15:40 
"Hangin' Around" is pretty upbeat, as are a number of the other tracks, but "Amy Hit the Atmosphere" and "Colorblind" seem more August and Everything After-ish.

They re-vamped their entire webpage for the release, and actually did a really good job, it looks better than it has in quite some time. The album cover for "This Desert Life" is kind of dreamy, with the fishbowl head, and whatnot.

The cover art for this album is actually taken from the book The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish by Neil Gaiman. The picture itself is by Dave McKean, who has done a lot of work with Gaiman at various times, and who also produced the pictures which accompany each song in the liner notes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.