(My apologies for not being able to think of a more succinct title. Apparently, the movie is just called "Star Trek" which would be misleading if I used it in my own title.)

 

The newest addition to the Star Trek legacy, released May 8 2009, has attracted a lot of attention from trekkies and civilians alike. The trekkies worry that a new cast will ruin their vision of their favorite show, and everyone else thinks that the explosions in the trailer look cool... but "come on, it's Star Trek." Astoundingly enough, I think that J.J. Abrams managed to please everybody. It's exciting (genuinely terrifying at parts, actually), offers insights into all the characters, is surprisingly funny, and in my opinion every single member of the cast was PERFECT for their parts (with the possible exception of McCoy). However, for insane fans like me, there is one glaring inconsistency: it messes up the entire Star Trek timeline. Without giving too much away, let it suffice to say that by the end of the movie, the Trek universe has completely changed. It can possibly be explained away by the alternate universes concept, so it didn't bother me that much. The only other fault I noticed was the stereotypical renegade alien plot, which died with Spock's brother. I would encourage you to see it if you are at all interested, but there are a couple of things you should keep in mind.

If you are a nit-picker: you will not enjoy this movie unless you try to discourage this instinct. You can't take it too seriously. My advice is to think of it as a fan fiction with an insane budget. Be forgiving, and you will have a much better time.

If you are an old fan: you will love it. People who grew up with/were around for the original series will be delighted with the humor in this movie. They did a spectacular job of using old in-jokes without seeming contrived. (Wait for the "green-blooded bastard" line!) The actors did a great job recreating the characters with the addition of the appropriate youthful energy. (If you are a person with a sense of humor about your Trek passion, you also fall into this category.)

If you are a newbie: don't watch this movie until you see some REAL Star Trek. This movie is a fun way to spend an afternoon, but it's not a good example of what Star Trek is really about. Though this is exciting, funny, and certainly enjoyable, it doesn't acknowledge the philosophical aspect of Gene Roddenberry's creation. This movie is much more Hollywood than Star Trek ever was before, so if you insist on seeing this first, don't assume that the rest of the series will be the same way.

If you are an ogler: it's completely understandable. Chris Pine is exceedingly attractive. However, do not underestimate the inherent sexiness of Mr. Spock, especially when he's that young. Mmmm-mm!

 

So rest assured, Star Trek fans! I have been a fanatic since the age of eight (when I was the only girl in school to trick-or-treat as Mr. Spock) and I enjoyed this movie immensely. In fact, I think Chris Pine is a better Kirk than ShatnerIt's that good. I laughed, I jumped out of my seat (dude, those creatures are icky!), and there were at least three points when I could not resist clapping. I'm definitely proud of this newest addition to the Star Trek universe, even if they took some timeline liberties.

 

P.S.: I am anxiously awaiting Zachary Quinto's next Pon Farr cycle.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.