A boilerplate statement made by someone selling an herb or vitamin or diet supplement to avoid being subject to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations or to avoid the FDA seizing it for allegedly violating FDA regulation. The product may or may not be effective.

This statement is required on many herbs and vitamins that are available in grocery stores or health food stores because the FDA is pressured by the prescription and over-the-counter drug world to not review them for approval, and therefore prevent any healthy (ahem) competition. The herbs and vitamins in question may be equally as or more effective than drugs that treat a particular ailment, but because of the pharmaceutical industry, they are suppressed.

Not don't get me wrong; I hate health food stores. I'm not down with the psychic foods. I think a lot of these herbal miracle cures that folks sell are a bunch of shit and need to be stripped from the shelves. I do think, however, that there are may quite a bit of value in most vitamins and many herbs that you can buy.

The Food and Drug Administration shouldn't be like every other organization in this country, what with their bribery and scare tactics (I'm exaggerating). Food and drugs are an important part of every person's life, and should be carefully evaluated before widely manufactured and sold for consumption. Now I know that the FDA is just as well internally corrupt, and that the approval times for this drug can be extremely longer than the approval times for that drug depending on the situation...

Wait. I was going to say that the FDA should study more herbs and vitamins and approve them for mass distribution. Fuck that. It'd take 30 years for them to say ginseng isn't fatal. Oh, nevermind. Just let the little stores sell them the way they are.

Now if you are interested in taking herbs or vitamins, be sure to research them beforehand; and, it's always a good idea to ask your doctor if it's ok as well. Because hell, if your doctor approves, what do you have to lose?

I don't know anyone that has died of herb poisoning.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.