The thing with sayings, is that they are often automatically interpreted as that which they've come to represent, or insinuate. So, if I were to have tears streaming from my eyeball due to the presence of a little piece of parsley or even the traditional speck of dust, I'd likely be overwhelmed by words of comfort from concerned citizens. Of course it wouldn't be in relation to the actual cause of my tears, and I guess you can't scorn well-wishers, but, still. I dislike being interrogated about emotional trauma that doesn't exist, you know? Any way, I just think that people should consider words, phrases, and even ideas more thoroughly, as to avoid such complications. Life throws enough at humans to keep them busy for all eternity, too bad they don't catch it all because half the time they're turned around dealing with something insignificant, like a misinterpreted comment. See "unbelievably gay".

Of course, the misunderstanding is... unsurprising if the situation somewhat resembles the following:

"I'm not really that upset. It's okay that you're leaving. I can handle it. I'm even happy with it, in a way. I think, ultimately, this will be better, for both of us. I'm not sure we really could have been happy together. You were right, we have been having problems. Yes, of course. I'm really glad we're going to continue to be friends.

"What's that? No, there is a speck of dust in my eye, honestly. It's nothing. I'm not upset. Don't worry. Yeah, okay. I'll call you tomorrow, I guess. I still love you too. Have a good night. No, sincerely, I mean it. I'll be fine. Go out - have a good night. We both need some time apart.

"Hmm? You're right. I'll call you on Sunday instead. Ok. I love you too babe."

"Really. I'm not upset." Swallows. Wipes eyes.

"Bye." Waves. Pained smirk.

One summer I was helping to coordinate a large project, and it was fairly stressful. There was lots of stuff going on, and we all had a lot to deal with. My allergies were also acting up at the time, so my eyes would water from time to time. It was really weird, I be walking through the cube farm, and all of a sudden, I'd have tears running down my face.

My coworkers seemed concerned, some were unusually nice to me. People were telling me it would be OK. I couldn't figure out what was going on. It was weird and sort of creepy. Please stop telling me everything is OK. Of course it is. It took me a couple of days to figure out that they thought I was having a breakdown or something! I'm not the kind to explain things like that, so I just let people believe whatever they wanted, but, no really, its just allergies!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.