There is a long history to smoking in herbal medicine. Mixtures of herbs can be rolled cigarettes, or burnt on a block of charcoal. Using the latter method, the smoke can be inhaled by standing over it, or through a tube of paper.

The herbs first need to be dried, then cured. Cure with honey to prevent the smoke being harsh and dry on the throat. Sage is used as the base herb because it burns well, and others are added for taste. Some examples of additions are rosemary, thyme, basil, bay, parsley, tarragon, aniseed powder and fennel powder.

The Roman writer Pliny (Natural History, AD77) recommended "smoke drawn into the mouth through a reed and swallowed....a remedy for an obstinate cough." Good smoke will clear the brain and relax the chest, and contains no harmful chemicals. (as far as they knew ...)

  1. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with 4 teaspoons of water. Mix the herbs together well, and add the honeyed water 1 teaspoon at a time. Rub together until the leaves are slightly damp.
  2. Lay the herbs out on a shallow dish for a few days to allow the moisture to evaporate, turning the mixture occasionally. When it is dry enough to burn but is not yet bone dry, put it in an airtight tin. Label the tin with the name and date.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.