Theodore Sturgeon was a brilliant author. Although his writing has largely been classed as science fiction, his writing has a literary depth rarely seen in the Genre. Despite such seminal novels as Venus Plus X and The Dreaming Jewels, and a pile of incredible short stories, he is rarely seen on bookstore shelves today. Despite strikingly different personal and political beliefs, he was a close friend of Robert A. Heinlein. He also made a famous remark now known as Sturgeon's Law.

Theodore Sturgeon isn't a particularly well known author among the general public, but he is well known by other authors. Largely classified as science fiction, Sturgeon's work transcends the genre. His stories are about people, about what it means to be a human being, and about love.

Until recently, his books were difficult to find. However, Vintage Books has recently reprinted many of his works.

He was a friend of Robert A. Heinlein, who even provided him with some story ideas during a time of struggle.

Sturgeon is also well known for Sturgeon's Law.

What other people have said about Theodore Sturgeon:

  • "A master storyteller certain to fascinate" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
  • "The corpus of science fiction produced by Theodore Sturgeon is the single most important body of science fiction by an American." - Samuel R. Delany
  • "The magic of Theodore Sturgeon's writing lies in his understanding of the many ways there are to be human." - Larry Niven
  • "I look upon Sturgeon with a secret and growing jealousy." - Ray Bradbury
  • "Sturgeon is one of the most talented and serious writers of science fiction" - Analog
  • "Sturgeon's stories are treasures." - Carl Sagan
  • "The Sturgeon magic does not diminish with the years. His stories have a timeless quality and a universality which is beyond fantasy and science fiction." - Madeleine L'Engle

(Yes, that's right, the author of one of your favorite children's books, A Wrinkle in Time, thinks Sturgeon is good stuff)

Some books by Theodore Sturgeon:

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.