I was in Kathmandhu, Nepal, and I had to get to Ottawa, Canada in seven days. My sister was to perform in the national Improv Olympics, and I wasn't going to miss it. I was on a low budget, and had a string of disjointed return tickets to make use of.

I spent one day and one night in Kathmandhu airport, where I lived on Coca Cola. The plane was delayed due to dust.

I then spent a night in Dakkha, Bangladesh, where they confiscated our passports and escorted us to a hotel. They fed us rice. The next day we got our passports back and flew to Bangkok.

After purchasing some items in Bangkok, I took a train to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. There I loaded up on ... shareware.

In KL, I missed my trans-pacific flight, and had to reroute through Los Angeles. This meant spending another night at Kuala Lumpur International Airport. Not good for one's sanity.

I landed in LA, having missed another flight due to another delay. By this time I was hopelessly jet lagged. Another indeterminate stretch of time at an airport. Caffeine was now having no effect.

From LA I flew to Vancouver. I spent two days trying to figure out how the $500 I had in my bank account was going to get me accross the country. I tried two standby flights, but both were full. Finally a woman from Air Canada took pity on me, and gave me a flight to Ottawa for $300.

I arrived in Ottawa, my family picked me up, and I fell alseep in the car. That night, I watched my sister perform.

At no time did I fail to know where my towel was.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.