Okay, there's this girl.

Her name is Jamie. She has fiery red hair, stands almost five feet soaking wet, has had a breast reduction and is still stacked. She is intelligent; she is opinionated; she takes shit from no-one. She is funny in an unfailingly ascerbic manner.

In short, I was completely crazy about her.

Unfortunately, she is a bitch. Definitions of the word vary incredibly, so here's what I mean: Jamie takes pleasure in hurting people, and her conscience seems to have absolutely nothing to say about it. It took me a long time to realize that, honest-to-goodness no foolin', she *likes* to screw people over. People who have never hurt her.. That, friends and neighbors, makes her a worthless bitch. I honestly wish I could feel any other way about this, but my brain won't let me. It is a simple fact.

I tried to deny it. I told myself that she had been hurt in the past.. it turns out that that doesn't matter. I told myself she was afraid to be kind because once she started being kind, she thought she would go too far, and be far *too* kind, and make herself vulnerable.. pipe dream. I told myself that our definitions of kindness differed.. I won't tell you how I know, but it turns out that's not true. These are the lengths to which I went to try to maintain my death-grip on the belief that she was a worthwhile person.

I was wrong. She was *never* going to be kind, and there would *never* be anything I could do about it.

The point is this -- I had to face a FACT. There are surprisingly few real facts in this life. (Surprising for a science person, at least.) It was a fact I desperately did not want to acknowledge. If I had to admit it was true, I wanted to be able to change it. I couldn't.

The Truth (tm) has always been a sort of mistress to me, in the sense that, when all else has been madness and confusion, I have ever found solace in her steady arms. She has held me upright through the most torrential hurricanes of emotion I can concieve experiencing. She has been exactly as faithful to me as I have been to her. She has been, by and large, a most pleasant consort. Her harshness lies in the way she absolutely refuses to change her mind about anything. If something is TRUE, then it is bigger than you -- it can't be changed. This particular mountain cannot be made to come to Mohammed.

Look deep enough into the smiling leer of mistress Truth, and you begin to see what sharp teeth she has.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.