Languages have tastes. Spanish tastes like red wine on a warm autumn day. Farsi tastes like sweet dried dates. Chinese tastes like eggrolls in shoyu*. Deep_thought says that to him, French tastes like pastry, British English is like Guiness, and Mexican Spanish is like fresh fruit and tortillas. American English though – it tastes so natural on my tongue, almost like it’s not there. I suppose it tastes like water then?

Roll the words slowly over your tongue, what do they taste like to you? Savor the words, and embrace their power.

I've never noticed that languages have tastes. But they do have colours; perhaps because I'm a synesthete, or maybe everyone sees them that way. American English (perhaps I should mention that I'm British?) is a mixture of oranges and yellows; French is clear light yellow; Italian is deep red and dark blue; Welsh is deep dark green and black.
I have a friend who's from Texas; I tried to draw him a picture once of how his voice looks to me when he speaks. I drew it as thick black lines curving up and down with orange and brown shadows. I didn't really draw it very well, but he liked it, I think.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.