In my experience (with styrofoam peanuts) we did the eating. My two older siblings and I used to help my dad package his obscure computer game, Capitalist Pig, and we found some rather unusual plastic peanuts...they weren't really s-shaped, but rather cheetoish in size and shape...All three of us quickly became addicted to the salty taste of these styrofoam nuggets. For those of you who also became dependent, you will agree that they have an aftertaste remarkably similar to glue...And don't tell me you don't know what that tastes like, either.

By the way, when I say addicted, I mean we just kept eating them--whether we enjoyed them or not. I think I ate my last peanut less than a year ago...I still cannot resist those pasty pieces of earth-safe packaging.

There are actually some biodegradable packing peanuts made from (extremely) puffed rice.

I learned about these back when I was a network administrator in college. It seems we had some hardware shipped to us, and the box was filled with these packing peanuts. One of the other admins told me they were edible. I told him he was full of shit, up until the point at which he ate one.

Being an adventurer, I grabbed one, and put it on my tongue. When they get wet, they get sticky and their structure severely weakens....even developing a pasty texture. I ate it, and proceeded to eat quite a few more before developing a headache. It's not a good idea to eat too many packing peanuts.

I will admit, they certainly had a unique taste.

I'm a styrofoam packing peanut, and he's going to eat me!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.