Over the years, I have discovered the one absolutely perfect, unquestionable deed one can ever do in their entire life. And the beauty of it is, you can do it every day.

It is this. When night falls, and your eyes begin to feel heavy, lay down and go to sleep.

It may seem obvious, but it merits a deeper look. This is perhaps the one act you can do for which there is no conceivable argument against it. When you lie down at night to sleep, there is nothing imaginable in all of reality that you should be doing instead. Of all the infinite possibilities of reality, you are doing the most perfect thing you could conceivably do at that time.

It doesn't get any better than that. Laying there, falling asleep, you can feel entirely assured that, no matter what else is going on in the world, in your life, or anything at all, you are doing the right thing in the present moment. You are free of everything.

When you are behaving perfectly in the present, you have a reason to be free and blissful. So perhaps your life is hard, your relationship is rocky, you lost your job, your mother has cancer... relax, for now. Because you are doing the best thing you can do.

And I often find that afterwards, things seem brighter anyway.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.