BOOM!

WOW! Pictures of this glorious debacle can now be found at http://cotrell.net/e2/frabjous/ !

 

A date has been set: Saturday April 7th.
LAST-LAST-MINUTE CHANGE:this is minor. We have to go to Buca at 4pm instead of 5pm. We have a reservation, under my name, Chris Cotrell.

Look! Last-minute polishing. I present this plan to you: I will meet people at noon by the big spoon in the sculpture garden across from the Walker Art Center. (Go to http://www.walkerart.org/generalinfo/map.html for location information.) Around 12.30 we'll go into the Walker museum, for free, as it is every first Saturday of the month. It may be crowded, but hey, it won't cost anything. Wander around, see the exhibits, talk to Yoko Ono on the telephone if we're lucky. Leave around 15.45-16.00 to walk to Buca. Stop in Loring Park and go on the swings, then along the Loring Greenway into downtown. Meet people in front of Buca around 16.30-16.45, then go in. Buca has its own parking lot, for any that may have cars. We eat dinner, then wend our way over to Hamline for swing dancing at 19.00. Post-dancing madness, we may or may not be struck by glorious inspiration and go make chaos about the city. Sound good?

If you need a place to sleep, /msg me. Also, if you're coming at all, please /msg me so that we can know how big of a table to get at Buca di Beppo.

NEW! as of 14.03.2001: Litmus must play with his jazz band around 20:00 that evening, and we are all invited to swing dancing at Hamline! If people could wend their ways over to Buca (or other eating establishment if that strikes people as bad) by 5pm (there should be ample vehicular assistance available), we can all have an earlier dinner, followed by swingin' madness! Litmus will be able to join us from time to time on the dance floor.Swing dancing lessons are at 19:00, music starts at 20:00.

People seem to be thinking Buca di Beppo in downtown Minneapolis at 7pm. StFiend says it's crowded and noisey and expensive... I could arrive early to hold our place in the queue so we don't all have to wait a long time, but we can't really make it quiet. Thoughts?
...
Buca di Beppo sounds like a great idea, and in general just wandering the cities could be a lot of fun. If we're a small bunch we could crowd into my dorm room... Sledding if it's still snowy... any other fantastic ideas?


There have been plenty of rollicking mad joyous E2 gatherings recently: Portland. New York. Atlanta. Portland again. To that I say:

It's time for an E2 bash in the Upper Midwest!

Why: Maybe it's to get some better geographic distribution. Maybe it's because we here in Minnesota need something to cheer us up when it's 5°F out. Maybe it's because I'm bitter about Pseudo_Intellectual picking a date for the spring Portland gathering when I wouldn't be there. Maybe I just wanted to use an absurdly long string of adjectives. In any case, it's time!

Who: litmus! Mitchevious! Lactic.Acid! rainfire! Amoeba Protozoa! eponymous! StFiend! qousqous! you! If I'm gonna have a noder gathering, I'm going to need noders. I'm still working on that part, and you want to come. Minnesotans, Iowans, Wisconsonians (?), Illinoisians (??), anyone who can make it, come on over here to the Twin Cities!

Where: Somewhere in the Twin Cities, Minnesota region. I need a place. My dorm room simply is NOT big enough (unless we're a small bunch . . . ) /msg me or add a writeup if you have a place to offer.

When: This is, as of yet, also not established. I'm thinking a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, between now and March 16th and between April 2nd and May 15th, cause that's when I'll be here. /msg me or add a writeup to help work out the date.April 7, 2001.

What: Joy! Madness! Frolic! Let's play Balderdash, make sushi, go sledding! We can sit in a sewing circle while plotting the overthrow of the US government! There's always the good ol' drunken orgy, the movie screening, or even the occasional uninspired party game. Noders are creative and know how to have fun.


Okay, well, if we can't find a place to gather, we could still always frolic about the cities, though a number of us (myself included) be under 21.

n6: Darn. This is the predicament of many. Mayhap you might care to plan your own spring break E2 midwest gathering?

Buca's is good, noisy yes, but that's why it's a good place to bring a group of folks. As for expense, it's not that bad as all the dishes are meant to be shared (and they're all huge, too.)

Apr. 7 is a damn fine date. Buca di Beppo is tasty as all hell, but I'd be very up for sushi still; I'd guess some out there would prefer not...Chino Latino is a fantastic place to bring a group, as well. Uptown, with it's many chic shops, coffee houses/cafes and variety of trend-setting dining is a hothouse for a good afternoon. Chino is, however a bit spendy (but I'd guess not too much more than Buca, so it don't matta no way, no how. I'll try to see if anyone like Mason Jennings is playing that night too, as that would most definitely be cause for enjoyment and happiness for all (if you like acoustic/folk...) but who knows?
Alas, fair noders, I shall do my best to be in attendance at this fair affair fair...ah shit, used the same word too many times. You should all come. We're lonely way up here in da frozen tundra, don'cha know.

ANYWHO...I may be able to house a person or two; however, I am at home with the parents in the suburbs, so unless I find an apartment by the date of the party, I can not house anyone. More on this later, if I find a place.

Sushi is good, experimentation is fun, we can always wander the twin cities to no end. (The Artist's Quarter in lowertown, St. Paul always has decent live jazz, too.) One thing to keep in mind: I'm not yet 21. And if worse comes to worse, we can teach all the out-staters how to play the infamous duck, duck, grey duck. Ooh, ooh, tubing at Green Acres out by me in Stillwater/Oakdale is awesome too!

I'll ramble more after sleep...


Whew, got some sleep after my Ben Harper concert in Decorah, IA. Excellent show, btw. StFiend: I'd be all for some coffee sometime, and same goes for me, I've always got a little open time. Also, as was talked about a little bit before, it's possible to do a party between Mar. 17 and Apr. 1, but Qous or myself would not be in attendance (I'm sure everyone is just dying to meet me... :) and then another party in a month or so, if the first goes well.

I'm all for it. For that matter, any bored MN noders who want to get coffee or whatnot can feel free to contact me; I'm not likely to be indisposed.


update: are we sure we want to do Buca? it's expensive and crowded and noisy and parking is hell. Probably not a good place to meet people or converse. If we really want to meet at a restaurant there's Little Tijuana or It's Greek to Me... but if it's warm enough we could just frolic in the sculpture garden (free), by the giant spoon, until our constituent members have congealed into a single mass, and then go from there. Appetizing, no? Thoughts?

I'm from the Twin Cities.

That's good!

But I'm going to school in California.

That's bad....

I'm coming home for spring break.

That's good!

March 17 through April 1.

That's bad....

I'll be sure to pass this on to moundie and Kill Your Idol, at least.

That's good!

Also, I seem to have misplaced my pants.

...

That's bad.

Can I go now?


qousqous: It's definitely a thought. If only I weren't so horribly lazy...

Fear not dedicated Midwesterner noders, for I Mitchevious, The Scourage of Green Bay, will be making his presence felt at the The frabjous funky frozen Twin Cities E2 whirling festival of doom.

I will of course, bring from Green Bay the various things that we are known for, so that the rest of E2 Midwestern 31337 can experience what I have all my life. These things include but are not limited to: postcards detailing the illustrious history of the Green Bay Packers and happenin night life of the city, sod from Lambeau Field, cows for cow tipping, assorted dairy products, and genuine Green Bay produced toilet paper.

Housing is of no need to me, as my Fabulous Thunderbird will be more than adequate to shelter me if the need for sleeping should arise. (Naturally, anyone that wished to offer a place to crash, I might be taken in.)

Being that my ex-girlfriend goes to school in the Twin Cities, I have been contaminated with the big city life, thus some of the activities that we could indulge in once again include but are not limited to: eating at the Old Spaghetti Factory(!), watching Fight Club or 12 Monkeys on the lecture hall screens in Moos Tower, going uptown and enjoying the sprawling metropolis and artsy folk scene, and sledding(!)

Let the good times roll . . .

Give me a Saturday or a Sunday and I will be there. Where is there? I heard Sushi, howabout a Sushi bar? Or some other place to feed lots of people...howabout Buca di Beppo?

Howabout late March, say Saturday the 31st?

I am ready to commit.


April 7th? I am in too! Let's do Buca! I vote for the Downtown Minneapolis location, as it is most likely well centered for everybody. Howabout a time? I vote for 7:00pm.

IOWA Representin'!

My sweet little Girlface is down with this idea. It is beautiful . You are beautiful. I will be driving up from Iowa City, which means if you are not terribly out of my way (and you don't smell too funny) I can pick you up if you need a ride. This also means I'm going to need a place to sleep (in the event sleeping actually takes place.) Yes. /msg me if I can swing by your place and toss you in my trunk...err... backseat. Ya.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.