I came home from work in an absolute temper. Hurt, humiliated and furious.

I said to the kids, "We are going out to dinner. I am really upset and I should not handle knives."

"What's up, mom?" said the extroverted feeler. He is 16.

"We had a clinic meeting today. Me, two other doctors, two midlevels and the office manager. There was an agenda. I was not on it. Halfway through the meeting, one of them turned to me and said, "We need to talk to you."

I said, "I am not on the agenda."

One of them said, "Do you want to be successful?" I thought, not in the corporate way YOU are defining it. I told them at the beginning of the meeting that I wanted 20 minutes to eat before the next patient and that eating in meetings made my stomach hurt. I finally got up and said, "There is 15 minutes until the next patient. I am going for a walk." I didn't eat. And I saw my 1:00 pm patient on time."

My kids thought about it. "Five against one, mom?" said EF.

"Yes." I said, through gritted teeth.

"Well, then, they didn't have enough people, did they?"

I stared at him and started laughing. "No, they didn't. Wow, I think you should get extra allowance or something for that!" I had such a fabulous image of 5 people trying to force all 5 foot 4 inches of me to stop arguing with the administration about patient care. Good luck.

Both kids hugged me and we went out to dinner.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.