There is no need to anthropomorphize the computer. A computer is not a law of nature; it is a construction of the human mind, intended to represent and emulate and amplify human function. The fact that the machine was derived from a human thought process intrinsically lends a human slant to its operation.

Independent of ventures into the fields of cybernetics and AI, computers can be observed to be more and more anthromorphic all the time:

With the massive heaps of non-linear relational data, which is now too large and convoluted to ever be fully comprehended, people begin to sense when their Windows machine is in a "bad mood", and can pick up on imminent BSOD "vibes".

Old, uncompressed methods of computerized video and audio recording literally just saved as many bytes as possible from the incoming stream. Starting with image compression, and now progressing in streaming A/V, the software starts acting like brains. These compression techniques don't record every fucking pixel of the stream, rather they focus on the visual stresses, and the shifts and deltas from frame to frame. This is a hell of a lot like optic function in the human skull.

Most importantly, it can not be ignored that these machines are intended to interface with the humans -- their design must be configured for us.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.