Not to be confused with the cheap paper jewel case switch, this "con" is from a late 19th century book written (where the introduction states). "...to all who desire, in a cheap form, full information as to methods of doing business."

Above the article is a drawing of two gentlemen dressed in overcoats and top hats, one approaching the other with a tablet and pen.

DON'T TRY TO GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

_____________

Experience has proven again and again, that there is nothing gained BY TRYING TO BEAT A MAN AT HIS OWN GAME and succeed in getting something for nothing.

THE SWINDLE.

The auctioneer starts out, after getting a crowd about him, by giving back to the purchasers more money than they paid for the article, but this does not generally last long. Higher priced articles are soon put up, such as watches, etc., and the price raised from 50 cts., or a $1.00 to $10.00 or $20.00.

The purchaser sees the seller stick a $20.00 bill or a $50.00 bill into the watch and close it up, and so sure are the spectators that they saw the money go into the watch that there is no lack of purchasers.

But when the watch is purchased and opened it contains a $1.00 bill instead of a $20.00, and the purchaser is a wiser, but not a richer man.

Source: The Business Guide; or, Safe Methods of Business. J.L. Nichols; Naperville, ILLS., 1891.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.