Any college student who ever pulled an all-nighter, especially several in a row, will know what these are. They are a result of lack of sleep, and the excess of caffeine, nicotine, or other chemicals ingested by the performer of the all-nighter(s). At least, that seems like the obvious source.

The all-nighter shakes start during the afternoon following the all-nighter as slight tremors in the legs and hands. By the evening of the day following the all-nighter, these will have grown, and actual spasms may begin to occur in the arm and leg muscles as they desperately try to shut down. Depending on how long you're actually awake, these can become obvious to others around the all-nighter-er.

Solution? Sleep.

yeh, right. /me prepares the coffee pot with shaking hands for night #2, and lights another cigarette.

In addition to the all-nighter (AN) shakes, you can also experience the:
  • AN drifts:
    There you are intently typing code or an essay on your computer and then the next thing you know, you are stopping yourself from falling out of your chair as you snap awake.

  • AN imprints:
    As consciousness slowly enters your foggy head, you realise that you've fallen asleep on your keyboard or on your pens. This is the reason for the strange red marks on your forehead.

  • AN substance overdose:
    The strong aversion of food or beverage substances that were once your faviourite snack, but having been consumed in copious amounts through the night to stay awake, have taken on a bland and often revolting taste.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.