Quite possibly the most lovely thing to fall on my ears. While living in Dublin, I had occasion to make several business trips to Northern Ireland, primarily Belfast, which has become one of my favourite cities in the world.

I'm not sure how much of this is due to the accents of the city's women. They do not possess the typical Irish accent that crops up in Hollywood movies, but then nobody does. Their accent is quite different from those found in the South, combining somewhat of the Irish Lilt with a poshly British overtone.

The end result: a wonderfully modulated accent that I could spend hours listening to. Much of it seems to arise from just above the throat, and the words flow together with incredible varations in tone. The overall cadence is absolutely enchanting.

When I leave Ireland for Canada, I might miss those accents more than the scenery of Kilrush or even the perfect pint.
That being said, you probably didn't listen to the girls who come from WEST Belfast. The accents over there are absolutely atrocious! They elongate the e's chop out whole subphrases, vary the tone enormously, and of course speak at around 200 miles per hour, making the entire process of verbal communication a race against time!

Example:
"T'Beeeernut'beeeee, thasaqestun (Big Lad)."

Translation:
"To be or not to be, that is the question".

Perhaps I am being a little harsh, most of the girls from West Belfast I have met are beautiful, intelligent, and really quite charming.

I think your being unfair there Jaez.

Belfast accents vary greatly. I have found that a good way to imitate a Belfast accent is to breath through your nose as you speak.

Try: "Wise up there wee lad" as your breath through your nose. Its quite amazing how this adds to the Belfast accent.

As you leave Belfast and go to surrounding areas you get different accents. A running joke in Northern Ireland is,

Q: What is a Creche?
A: When two cars collide on the Malone Road

West Belfast Accents

My dad was from Ballymurphy, which is about as far west as you can get in Belfast without falling into the atlantic.

Breathing through the nose while you speak is a good means by which by imitate such an accent, provided of course that you are an avid practitioner of circular breathing.

If you can play a didge, you can do this.

I have never heard anyone speak as quickly or as abundantly as a west-Belfaster.

They are of swift speech and full of crack.

Crack, pronounced 'crek', refers to the overly profuse nature of their wit and wisdom, which they will confer without request, whether you want them to or not.

My fathers accent, being a little less extreme given that he has spent the last 18 years out of the country, still presents problems to the people he talks to, as for the rest of his family, those still in Belfast, I struggle to follow them. I just nod politely and laugh when everyone else does.

Hey, its a start.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.