The Weekly Standard is a moderately conservative weekly political magazine founded in 1995 and published by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation.

While, some might find it a bit extreme, it really is not. While National Review and The Nation could be considered the extreme magazines of the two political parties/philosophies in America, the Standard is more comparable to The New Republic. Both are about politics and both are moderate magazines, with The Standard to the right and TNR to the left.

The Standard, is edited by William Kristol, former Vice President Dan Quayle's chief-of-staff when the first Bush was in the White House and by Fred Barnes who is no stranger to anyone who watches Fox News Channel. (Barnes came to the Standard from the New Republic.)

From a personal standpoint, I read both the New Republic and the Weekly Standard. They are in most cases fair in their assessments and aren't knee-jerk magazines. For example Kristol, against prevailing opinion in the Republican Party, supported John McCain in the 2000 presidential primary. I also read the Standard because they frequently include the always funny and often insightful P.J. O'Rourke.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.