A cable network, headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, that focuses on only one thing - the weather. You get 24 hours of weather reports a day, 365 days a year. This allows someone to turn to the channel, any time, and get the relevant weather.

You get repetitions of your local forecast, which shows data about the local conditions, taken from a site nearby (which can be a few towns over in large city suburbs, or in small towns), along with local forecasts, traveler's reports, showing all the big cities together, mainly targetted at business travelers, regional forecasts showing what each section of the coutry should be prepared for, with a mix of other, less common forecasts.

They also provide seasonal reports. You'll frequently see allergy reports during the spring and summer, showing which areas have significant levels of common allergens. The winter ushers in ski forecasts, so you'll know where the slopes are good, and where not to bother. There are also storm updates during hurricane and tornado season.

They do occasionally have special programming, perhaps an hour here or there, to focus on weather-related topics, but unlike other networks such as MTV and VH-1, they still are almost entirely doing what they were originally created to do - provide a quick weather resource, at any time of day.


I could watch the Weather Channel for hours, if I only do it out of the corner of one eye. Sometimes I just leave it on in the background while I mess around on the computer.

I love the serious, and yet jaunty way the walking and talking heads on this channel interpret the flux of the skies.

They must have a hell of a great maternity leave program because I've seen several of the girls on there get pregnant, have babies, and then get pregnant again. Yet, even in full bloom, there they are, their bellies protruding out over Tupelo, happily telling me about the downpours up in Duluth. They sure know America.

One guy on there looks just like a guy I know in Atlanta. And this show comes from Atlanta. I'm a bit concerned about this, 'cause when I confront the person I know, he maintains that he has never seen this guy on the Weather Channel and has no idea what I'm talking about. And I've been telling him for over 4 years now that he's GOT to watch and see his doppelganger! . . . . Yeah, it's him. But I just can't figure out how he finds time to do both jobs, and why he won't admit to being so ambitious.

I love the Pat Metheny music and the other elevator jazz that they play when they tell me about my local conditions. I love the graphics and the colors for the radar. I have learned how to spot a tornado just by where the purple fits into the red and yellow color scheme. This will come in handy some day; I'm sure of it.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.