Western comedy, released in 1979. It was directed by Hal Needham and written by Robert G. Kane. It starred Kirk Douglas as Cactus Jack, Ann-Margret as Charming Jones, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Handsome Stranger, Paul Lynde as Nervous Elk, Foster Brooks as the bank clerk, Ruth Buzzi as a damsel in distress, Jack Elam as Avery Simpson, Strother Martin as Parody Jones, Mel Tillis as the telegraph agent, and many others.

Basic plot: muscular, naive, and very Austrian cowboy Handsome Stranger is hired to escort the beautiful and not even a little bit naive Charming Jones to take a large sum of money to her father. However, the dashing scoundrel Cactus Jack is hired to waylay the couple and steal the money. Unfortunately, Cactus Jack is an inept moron with more in common with Wile E. Coyote than with Liberty Valance. When he isn't getting blown up by his own dynamite, he's getting run over by trains or flattened by boulders or falling off cliffs.

If it sounds like an old Roadrunner cartoon... well, it looks a lot like a Roadrunner cartoon, too. A large number of gags look like they were lifted directly from some of the classic Warner Brothers cartoons. So if you like old cartoons, you ought to like this movie. The primary stars -- Douglas, Schwarzenegger, and Ann-Margret -- are all plenty funny, so that's a plus. All the co-stars are -- well, they're bad stand-up comics from the 1970s. If you groove on comedians like Ruth Buzzi and Foster Brooks, you'll enjoy this movie; if you don't like them, you can at least enjoy the high retro-cheese factor. In the end, it's extremely light comedy. You should enjoy it fine as long as you don't click the "Play" button expecting "Blazing Saddles."

Some research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.