One of Australia's leading unis. One of The Big 8 and IMHO ranked highly within that group.It was named the 1998 Australian University of the Year and given 5 star ratings in positive graduate outcomes, prestige, student demand, research performance, gender balance and staff qualifications
It is Queensland's largest and oldest university and was established in 1909

UQ has 3 major campuses located at St Lucia, Gatton and Ipswich.

The St Lucia campus is known for its spectacular Great Court, Lake and pretty jacaranda trees. It also the home to the Schonell cinema and the Cementbox theatre.

The campus also holds a number of residential colleges the premier of which is St Johns College
I'm a first year student doing Software Engineering there and I have to say that The University of Queensland is on par with some of the large evil corporations in terms of greediness and evil capitalisation. I don't mean this in a left wing fundamentalist point of view, but these guys are utter fuckheads. They have no interest in the welfare of the student body, but instead are more intersted in how to get your money, and attract more megabucks from large evil corporations.

I can think of a certain large computer company that does this.

The Australian University of the Year award is like the village bicycle. Everyone's had a go. It just gets passed around.

The University of Queensland, or UQ as it is commonly referred to, was established by an Act of State Parliament on December 10, 1909 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Queensland's separation from the colony of New South Wales.

Classes didn't commence until 1911, when 83 arts, science and engineering students attended classes at Government House in Brisbane's George Street which had been dedicated to University purposes.

After the First World War the University expanded in both research and in teaching and outgrew Government House and the surrounding area in George Street. A larger campus was discovered at St Lucia and in 1926 the Univesity Senate accepted an offer from Dr James O'Neil Mayne to purchase the the site then valued at $120,000.

The St Lucia area was originally used to farm suger (and thus was named after the sugar-producing insland "St Lucia" in the West Indies) but arrowroot, cotton, maize and pineapples were also grown there.

The first actual building on the site was compelted in 1939, it was called the Forgan Smith Building after the Queensland Premier at the time. Due to the Second World War this building wasn't used for academic purposes however, rather it was used as an adcanged headquarters for the Allied Land Forces in the South West Pacific.

It wasn't until 1948 that a major shit occured to move teching from Georoge Stree to St Lucia. This wasn't completed though unil alost 25 years later in 1972.

At present the following data is true about UQ.

Student Numbers: -Total: 31764 -Postgraduate: 6525
Student Load (EFTSU): -Total: 27 505 -International: 3612
Staff (FTE): -Total: 4666 -Academic: 1927
Teaching & Research: -Courses Offered: 5000 -Programs Offered: 360
Finance: -Annual Revenue: $500m -Research Funding: $113m
Land Holdings: -Area: 1940ha -Buildings: 304747 m2

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.