Three Surpassing Bonds of Enduring Love which Three Men formerly in the time of Arthur cast upon the Three Fairest, most Lovable, and most Talked-of Maidens who were in the Island of Britain at that time;
  • that is which Drystan son of Tallwch cast upon Essyllt daughter of (Culfanawyd) Pillar of Britain;
  • and which Cynon son of Clydno Eiddyn cast upon Morfudd daughter of Urien Rheged;
  • and which Caradawg Strong-Arm son of Llyr M(a)rini cast upon Tegau Gold-Breast daughter of Nudd Generous-Hand, king of the North.

And those were the Three Fairest, most Lovable, and most Talked-of Maidens who were in the Island of Britain at that time.


Of the first, we know this the Tristan and Iseult story.

Of the second, Cynon ap Clydno Eiddyn is mentioned in "Owein, or, the Lady of the Fountain," as well as having a poem about him in the Book of Taliesin, as makes sense, since Taliesin was the historical Urien of Rheged's bard.

Of the third, Cardawg Strong-Arm--the Caradoc Vreichias of French romance--is confused with Caradawg ap Bran, the grandson of Llyr Llediath, who is sometimes called Llyr Marini (though there is some question as to whether the figures of Llyr, Bran, and Caradawg are both mythological and historical, and at some point completely confused with each other).

Nudd Generous-Hand is also Lludd, and both are the same as Nuada Silver-Arm.

And yes, the title isthat long.


Back to The Welsh Triads

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.