...continued from Part II of The Taguba Report:

Part III - E2 Node Split

RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO PART THREE OF THE INVESTIGATION:


  1. (U) That BG Janis L. Karpinski, Commander, 800th MP Brigade be Relieved from Command and given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Failing to ensure that MP Soldiers at theater-level detention facilities throughout Iraq had appropriate SOPs for dealing with detainees and that Commanders and Soldiers had read, understood, and would adhere to these SOPs.
    • Failing to ensure that MP Soldiers in the 800th MP Brigade knew, understood, and adhered to the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Making material misrepresentations to the Investigation Team as to the frequency of her visits to her subordinate commands.
    • Failing to obey an order from the CFLCC Commander, LTG McKiernan, regarding the withholding of disciplinary authority for Officer and Senior Noncommissioned Officer misconduct.
    • Failing to take appropriate action regarding the ineffectiveness of a subordinate Commander, LTC (P) Jerry Phillabaum.
    • Failing to take appropriate action regarding the ineffectiveness of numerous members of her Brigade Staff including her XO, S-1, S-3, and S-4.
    • Failing to properly ensure the results and recommendations of the AARs and numerous 15-6 Investigation reports on escapes and shootings (over a period of several months) were properly disseminated to, and understood by, subordinate commanders.
    • Failing to ensure and enforce basic Soldier standards throughout her command.
    • Failing to establish a Brigade METL.
    • Failing to establish basic proficiency in assigned tasks for Soldiers throughout the 800th MP Brigade.
    • Failing to ensure that numerous and reported accountability lapses at detention facilities throughout Iraq were corrected.
  2. (U) That COL Thomas M. Pappas, Commander, 205th MI Brigade, be given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand and Investigated UP Procedure 15, AR 381-10, US Army Intelligence Activities for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command were properly trained in and followed the IROE.
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command knew, understood, and followed the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise his soldiers working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
  3. (U) That LTC (P) Jerry L. Phillabaum, Commander, 320th MP Battalion, be Relieved from Command, be given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand, and be removed from the Colonel/O-6 Promotion List for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Failing to properly ensure the results, recommendations, and AARs from numerous reports on escapes and shootings over a period of several months were properly disseminated to, and understood by, subordinates.
    • Failing to implement the appropriate recommendations from various 15-6 Investigations as specifically directed by BG Karpinski.
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command were properly trained in Internment and Resettlement Operations.
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command knew and understood the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise his soldiers working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
    • Failing to properly establish and enforce basic soldier standards, proficiency, and accountability.
    • Failure to conduct an appropriate Mission Analysis and to task organize to accomplish his mission.
  4. (U) That LTC Steven L. Jordan, Former Director, Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Center and Liaison Officer to 205th Military Intelligence Brigade, be relieved from duty and be given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Making material misrepresentations to the Investigating Team, including his leadership roll at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct control were properly trained in and followed the IROE.
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct control knew, understood, and followed the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise soldiers under his direct authority working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
  5. (U) That MAJ David W. DiNenna, Sr., S-3, 320th MP Battalion, be Relieved from his position as the Battalion S-3 and be given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Received a GOMOR from LTG McKiernan, Commander CFLCC, on 25 May 2003, for dereliction of duty for failing to report a violation of CENTCOM General Order #1 by a subordinate Field Grade Officer and Senior Noncommissioned Officer, which he personally observed; GOMOR was returned to Soldier and not filed.
    • Failing to take corrective action and implement recommendations from various 15-6 investigations even after receiving a GOMOR from BG Karpinski, Commander 800th MP Brigade, on 10 November 03, for failing to take corrective security measures as ordered; GOMOR was filed locally.
    • Failing to take appropriate action and report an incident of detainee abuse, whereby he personally witnessed a Soldier throw a detainee from the back of a truck.
  6. (U) That CPT Donald J. Reese, Commander, 372nd MP Company, be Relieved from Command and be given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command knew and understood the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise his Soldiers working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
    • Failing to properly establish and enforce basic soldier standards, proficiency, and accountability.
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command were properly trained in Internment and Resettlement Operations.
  7. (U) That 1LT Lewis C. Raeder, Platoon Leader, 372nd MP Company, be Relieved from his duties as Platoon Leader and be given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command knew and understood the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise his soldiers working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
    • Failing to properly establish and enforce basic Soldier standards, proficiency, and accountability.
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers under his direct command were properly trained in Internment and Resettlement Operations.
  8. (U) That SGM Marc Emerson, Operations SGM, 320th MP Battalion, be Relieved from his duties and given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Making a material misrepresentation to the Investigation Team stating that he had "never" been admonished or reprimanded by BG Karpinski, when in fact he had been admonished for failing to obey an order from BG Karpinski to "stay out of the towers" at the holding facility.
    • Making a material misrepresentation to the Investigation Team stating that he had attended every shift change/guard-mount conducted at the 320th MP Battalion, and that he personally briefed his Soldiers on the proper treatment of detainees, when in fact numerous statements contradict this assertion.
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers in the 320th MP Battalion knew and understood the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise his soldiers working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
    • Failing to properly establish and enforce basic soldier standards, proficiency, and accountability.
    • Failing to ensure that his Soldiers were properly trained in Internment and Resettlement Operations.
  9. (U) That 1SG Brian G. Lipinski, First Sergeant, 372nd MP Company, be Relieved from his duties as First Sergeant of the 372nd MP Company and given a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers in the 372nd MP Company knew and understood the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise his soldiers working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
    • Failing to properly establish and enforce basic soldier standards, proficiency, and accountability.
    • Failing to ensure that his Soldiers were properly trained in Internment and Resettlement Operations.
  10. (U) That SFC Shannon K. Snider, Platoon Sergeant, 372nd MP Company, be Relieved from his duties, receive a General Officer Memorandum of Reprimand, and receive action under the Uniform Code of Military Justice for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Failing to ensure that Soldiers in his platoon knew and understood the protections afforded to detainees in the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
    • Failing to properly supervise his soldiers working and "visiting" Tier 1 of the Hard-Site at Abu Ghraib (BCCF).
    • Failing to properly establish and enforce basic soldier standards, proficiency, and accountability.
    • Failing to ensure that his Soldiers were properly trained in Internment and Resettlement Operations.
    • Failing to report a Soldier, who under his direct control, abused detainees by stomping on their bare hands and feet in his presence.
  11. (U) That Mr. Steven Stephanowicz, Contract US Civilian Interrogator, CACI, 205th Military Intelligence Brigade, be given an Official Reprimand to be placed in his employment file, termination of employment, and generation of a derogatory report to revoke his security clearance for the following acts which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Made a false statement to the investigation team regarding the locations of his interrogations, the activities during his interrogations, and his knowledge of abuses.
    • Allowed and/or instructed MPs, who were not trained in interrogation techniques, to facilitate interrogations by "setting conditions" which were neither authorized and in accordance with applicable regulations/policy. He clearly knew his instructions equated to physical abuse.
  12. (U) That Mr. John Israel, Contract US Civilian Interpreter, CACI, 205th Military Intelligence Brigade, be given an Official Reprimand to be placed in his employment file and have his security clearance reviewed by competent authority for the following acts or concerns which have been previously referred to in the aforementioned findings:
    • Denied ever having seen interrogation processes in violation of the IROE, which is contrary to several witness statements.
    • Did not have a security clearance.


  13. (U) I find that there is sufficient credible information to warrant an Inquiry UP Procedure 15, AR 381-10, US Army Intelligence Activities, be conducted to determine the extent of culpability of MI personnel, assigned to the 205th MI Brigade and the Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Center (JIDC) at Abu Ghraib (BCCF). Specifically, I suspect that COL Thomas M. Pappas, LTC Steve L. Jordan, Mr. Steven Stephanowicz, and Mr. John Israel were either directly or indirectly responsible for the abuses at Abu Ghraib (BCCF) and strongly recommend immediate disciplinary action as described in the preceding paragraphs as well as the initiation of a Procedure 15 Inquiry to determine the full extent of their culpability. (ANNEX 36)



OTHER FINDINGS/OBSERVATIONS

  1. (U) Due to the nature and scope of this investigation, I acquired the assistance of Col (Dr.) Henry Nelson, a USAF Psychiatrist, to analyze the investigation materials from a psychological perspective. He determined that there was evidence that the horrific abuses suffered by the detainees at Abu Ghraib (BCCF) were wanton acts of select soldiers in an unsupervised and dangerous setting. There was a complex interplay of many psychological factors and command insufficiencies. A more detailed analysis is contained in ANNEX 1 of this investigation.

  2. (U) During the course of this investigation I conducted a lengthy interview with BG Karpinski that lasted over four hours, and is included verbatim in the investigation Annexes. BG Karpinski was extremely emotional during much of her testimony. What I found particularly disturbing in her testimony was her complete unwillingness to either understand or accept that many of the problems inherent in the 800th MP Brigade were caused or exacerbated by poor leadership and the refusal of her command to both establish and enforce basic standards and principles among its Soldiers. (ANNEX 45)

  3. (U) Throughout the investigation, we observed many individual Soldiers and some subordinate units under the 800th MP Brigade that overcame significant obstacles, persevered in extremely poor conditions, and upheld the Army Values. We discovered numerous examples of Soldiers and Sailors taking the initiative in the absence of leadership and accomplishing their assigned tasks.
    1. (U) The 744th MP Battalion, commanded by LTC Dennis McGlone, efficiently operated the HVD Detention Facility at Camp Cropper and met mission requirements with little to no guidance from the 800th MP Brigade. The unit was disciplined, proficient, and appeared to understand their basic tasks.
    2. (U) The 530th MP Battalion, commanded by LTC Stephen J. Novotny, effectively maintained the MEK Detention Facility at Camp Ashraf. His Soldiers were proficient in their individual tasks and adapted well to this highly unique and non-doctrinal operation.
    3. (U) The 165th MI Battalion excelled in providing perimeter security and force protection at Abu Ghraib (BCCF). LTC Robert P. Walters, Jr., demanded standards be enforced and worked endlessly to improve discipline throughout the FOB.


  4. (U) The individual Soldiers and Sailors that we observed and believe should be favorably noted include:
    1. (U) Master-at-Arms First Class William J. Kimbro, US Navy Dog Handler, knew his duties and refused to participate in improper interrogations despite significant pressure from the MI personnel at Abu Ghraib.

    2. (U) SPC Joseph M. Darby, 372nd MP Company discovered evidence of abuse and turned it over to military law enforcement.

    3. (U) 1LT David O. Sutton, 229th MP Company, took immediate action and stopped an abuse, then reported the incident to the chain of command.



CONCLUSION

  1. (U) Several US Army Soldiers have committed egregious acts and grave breaches of international law at Abu Ghraib/BCCF and Camp Bucca, Iraq. Furthermore, key senior leaders in both the 800th MP Brigade and the 205th MI Brigade failed to comply with established regulations, policies, and command directives in preventing detainee abuses at Abu Ghraib (BCCF) and at Camp Bucca during the period August 2003 to February 2004.
  2. (U) Approval and implementation of the recommendations of this AR 15-6 Investigation and those highlighted in previous assessments are essential to establish the conditions with the resources and personnel required to prevent future occurrences of detainee abuse.



Annexes

  1. Psychological Assessment
  2. Request for investigation from CJTF-7 to CENTCOM
  3. Directive to CFLCC from CENTCOM directing investigation
  4. Appointment Memo from CFLCC CDR to MG Taguba
  5. 15-6 Investigation 9 June 2003
  6. 15-6 Investigation 12 June 2003
  7. 15-6 Investigation 13 June 2003
  8. 15-6 Investigation 24 November 2003
  9. 15-6 Investigation 7 January 2004
  10. 15-6 Investigation 12 January 2004
  11. SIR 5 November 2003
  12. SIR 7 November 2003
  13. SIR 8 November 2003
  14. SIR 13 December 2003
  15. SIR 13 December 2003
  16. SIR 13 December 2003
  17. SIR 17 December 2003
  18. Commander's Inquiry 26 January 2004
  19. MG Ryder's Report, 6 November 2003
  20. MG Miller's Report, 9 September 2003
  21. AR 190-8, Enemy Prisoners of War, Retained Personnel, Civilian Internees, and Other Detainees, 1 October 1997
  22. FM 3-19.40, Military Police Internment/Resettlement Operations, 1 August 2001
  23. FM 34-52, Intelligence Interrogation, 28 September 1992
  24. Fourth Geneva Convention, 12 August 1949
  25. CID Report on criminal abuses at Abu Ghraib, 28 January 2004
  26. CID Interviews, 10-25 January 2004
  27. 800th MP Brigade Roster, 29 January 2004
  28. 205th MI Brigade's IROE, Undated
  29. TOA Order (800th MP Brigade) and letter holding witnesses
  30. Investigation Team's witness list
  31. FRAGO #1108
  32. Letters suspending several key leaders in the 800th MP Brigade and Rating Chain with suspensions annotated
  33. FM 27-10, Military Justice, 6 September 2002
  34. CID Report on abuse of detainees at Camp Bucca, 8 June 2003
  35. Article 32 Findings on abuse of detainees at Camp Bucca, 26 August 2003
  36. AR 381-10, 1 July 1984
  37. Excerpts from log books, 320th MP Battalion
  38. 310th MP Battalion's Inprocessing SOP
  39. 320th MP Battalion's "Change Sheet"
  40. Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Center's (JIDC) Slides, Undated
  41. Order of Battle Slides, 12 January 2004
  42. oint Publication 0-2, Unified Actions Armed Forces, 10 July 2001
  43. General Officer Memorandums of Reprimand
  44. 800th MP Battalion's TACSOP
  45. BG Janis Karpinski, Commander, 800th MP Brigade
  46. COL Thomas Pappas, Commander, 205th MI Brigade
  47. COL Ralph Sabatino, CFLCC Judge Advocate, CPA Ministry of Justice
  48. LTC Gary W. Maddocks, S-5 and Executive Officer, 800th MP Brigade
  49. LTC James O'Hare, Command Judge Advocate, 800th MP Brigade
  50. LTC Robert P. Walters Jr., Commander, 165th MI Battalion (Tactical exploitation)
  51. LTC James D. Edwards, Commander, 202nd MI Battalion
  52. LTC Vincent Montera, Commander 310th MP Battalion
  53. LTC Steve Jordan, former Director, Joint Interrogation and Debriefing Center/LNO to the 205th MI Brigade
  54. LTC Leigh A. Coulter, Commander 724th MP Battalion and OIC Arifjan Detachment, 800th MP Brigade
  55. LTC Dennis McGlone, Commander, 744th MP Battalion
  56. MAJ David Hinzman, S-1, 800th MP Brigade
  57. MAJ William D. Proietto, Deputy CJA, 800th MP Brigade
  58. MAJ Stacy L. Garrity, S-1 (FWD), 800th MP Brigade
  59. MAJ David W. DiNenna, S-3, 320th MP Battalion
  60. MAJ Michael Sheridan, XO, 320th MP Battalion
  61. MAJ Anthony Cavallaro, S-3, 800th MP Brigade
  62. CPT Marc C. Hale, Commander, 670th MP Company
  63. CPT Donald Reese, Commander, 372nd MP Company
  64. CPT Darren Hampton, Assistant S-3, 320th MP Battalion
  65. CPT John Kaires, S-3, 310th MP Battalion
  66. CPT Ed Diamantis, S-2, 800th MP Brigade
  67. LTC Jerry L. Phillabaum, Commander, 320th MP Battalion
  68. CPT James G. Jones, Commander, 229th MP Company
  69. CPT Michael A. Mastrangelo, Jr., Commander, 310th MP Company
  70. CPT Lawrence Bush, IG, 800th MP Brigade
  71. 1LT Lewis C. Raeder, Platoon Leader, 372nd MP Company
  72. 1LT Elvis Mabry, Aide-de-Camp to Brigade Commander, 800th MP Brigade
  73. 1LT Warren E. Ford, II, Commander, HHC 320th MP Battalion
  74. 2LT David O. Sutton, Platoon Leader, 229th MP Company
  75. CW2 Edward J. Rivas, 205th MI Brigade
  76. CSM Joseph P. Arrison, Command Sergeant Major, 320th MP Battalion
  77. SGM Pascual Cartagena, Command Sergeant Major, 800th MP Brigade
  78. CSM Timothy L. Woodcock, Command Sergeant Major, 310th MP Battalion
  79. 1SG Dawn J. Rippelmeyer, First Sergeant, 977th MP Company
  80. SGM Mark Emerson, Operations SGM, 320th MP Battalion
  81. MSG Brian G. Lipinski, First Sergeant, 372nd MP Company
  82. MSG Andrew J. Lombardo, Operations Sergeant, 310th MP Battalion
  83. SFC Daryl J. Plude, Platoon Sergeant, 229th MP Company
  84. SFC Shannon K. Snider, Platoon SGT, 372nd MP Company
  85. SFC Keith A. Comer, 372nd MP Company
  86. SSG Robert Elliot, Squad Leader, 372nd MP Company
  87. SSG Santos A. Cardona, Army Dog Handler
  88. SGT Michael Smith, Army Dog Handler
  89. MA1 William J. Kimbro, USN Dog Handler
  90. Mr. Steve Stephanowicz, US civilian contract Interrogator, CACI, 205th MI Brigade
  91. Mr. John Israel, US civilian contract Interpreter, Titan Corporation, 205th MI Brigade
  92. FM 3-19.1, Military Police Operations, 22 March 2001
  93. CJTF-7 IROE and DROE, Undated
  94. CJTF-7 Interrogation and Counter Resistance Policy, 12 October 2003
  95. 800th MP Brigade Mobilization Orders
  96. Sample Detainee Status Report, 13 March 2004
  97. 530th MP Battalion Mission Brief, 11 February 2004
  98. Memorandum for Record, CPT Ed Ray, Chief of Military Justice, CFLCC, 9 March 2004
  99. SIR 14 January 2004
  100. Accountability Plan Recommendations, 9 March 2004
  101. 2LT Michael R. Osterhout, S-2, 320th MP Battalion
  102. Memorandum of Admonishment from LTG Sanchez to BG Karpinski, 17 January 2004
  103. Various SIRs from the 800th MP Brigade/320th MP Battalion
  104. 205th MI Brigade SITREP to MG Miller, 12 December 2003
  105. SGT William A. Cathcart, 372nd MP Company
  106. 1LT Michael A. Drayton, Commander, 870th MP Company

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.