Short for the MBTA, which is itself an abbreviation for Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, the T usually refers to the subway system in and around Boston, and sometimes to the area's commuter rail system as well. Origin is probably the signs outside stations, which consist of a black T on a round white sign.

The Green Line of the T is the oldest subway system in the United States, operating since 1897.

Improvements to the T are part of The Big Dig, an inevitable result of the fact that the T runs right through the same area that they're trying to construct an underground highway in.

With an almost identical logo to the one used by the MBTA in Boston, the city of Pittsburgh calls its light-rail system "The T" as well. It consists of less than a dozen stops, with only a few lines. At $1.75 for a fare, it's also fairly expensive (although CMU and Pitt students can ride for free with their student ID's). It is managed by PATransit, which is best known for its bus system.

However, some CMU students have a tough time dealing with it, displaying the inverse relationship between book smarts and common sense. Observe this conversation between me and some student, when I was working at the school's information desk:

Student: How do I get to Station Square?
Me: Take any 61 or 67 bus downtown. Get off at Market Square, walk to the T station, and take the T to Station Square.
Student: OK, so the 61 or 67... and then the what?
Me: The T. Any T line will get you to Station Square.
Student: What's the 'T'?
Me: It's a light-rail line.
Student: A what?
Me: A light-rail. You know, like a train? Like a subway, except that most of it is above ground.
Student: Really?
Me: (starting to get angry) Yes, really. It really exists. You can ride for free using your student ID, just like a bus.
Student: Are you serious?

I wanted to slam the phone down. Get off the goddamn campus already! Believe it or not, there's a CITY out there!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.