The Snarkout Boys and the Baconburg Horror is the second of Daniel Pinkwater's Snarkout boys books, recounting the adventures of Winston Bongo, Walter Galt, and Rat, who is not a boy. It is the sequel to The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, so you should read that first.

Baconburg is under attack! A strange person/creature is ripping the doors off of cars, vandalizing the poetry section of the library, biting sidewalks, and scaring the citizens of Baconburg away from their coffeehouses and other nocturnal haunts. Rumors start to emerge that is either a werewolf or definitely not a werewolf. The FBI is called in. The FBI gives up. The World's Greatest Detective is called in -- and he never gives up.

The Snarkout boys are still Snarking out, of course, although it appears that they have exhausted most of the city's Pinkwateresque locals; in this book they don't discover the weird and soulful places that make the city so special, but spend more time in the flashy and over-commercialized locations that happen to be interesting because Pinkwater makes everything he touches weird. While most Pinkwater books have the strong subtext that 'odd, old-fashioned, and marginal places are good', this book has the complimentary subtext, 'new, flashy places are soulless'. He also plays about with his writing a bit, including weird poems from Jonathan Quicksilver's newest (and only) collection, unusually quick and pithy exchanges between the boys, and very short chapters. It's a little out-of-the-ordinary for a Pinkwater book, but still very Pinkwater, and very good.

A third Snarking novel, I Snarked with a Zombie was planned but never written. We can only hope that someday it will be...

These days the best place to find The Baconburg Horror is in the collection 4 Fantastic Novels which also includes Borgel, Yobgorgle, and The Worms of Kukumlima. For reasons beyond my comprehension, the Snarkout boys books have not been collected together in one volume.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.