The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is the one book written by Robert Tressell. Part novel, part socialist propaganda and part biography, Tressell never lived to see the book published.

It tells the story of a group of builders and labourers in Mugsborough, a fictional town on the south coast of England which was obviously a thinly-disguised Hastings, where Tressell used to live. Tressell's manuscript of The RTP was completed in 1910 but the first edition didn't appear until 1914, nearly four years after the author's death. It started to sell well but then the outbreak of World War I put a quick halt to it.

After the war another edition was put out, at a much reduced price. The timing was perfect: a wave of revolutionary and left-wing ideas were sweeping across Europe as soldiers returning to civilian life started to wonder exactly what and who they'd been fighting for. Because it was written in an easy-to-read style, in the language of ordinary people, and presented socialist ideas without being patronising or over-complicated, it became highly influential, and copies were passed around from person to person many times over.

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists has been called the book that won the general election for Labour after the end of World War II; the veteran MP Tony Benn describes it as "a torch to pass from generation to generation".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.