The National-Elliot 405, which arrived from England in 1959
, was the first computer
brought to Australia
for commercial use. The CSIRO
purchased it in the early 1960s for their National Standards Laboratory
at Alpha House
The National-Elliot was huge, of course, and used bulky electronic valves. 12 metres of tall green cabinets encased the processing circuits. It used standard 35-mm film with the emulsion removed and replaced with a layer of magnetic oxide for long-term data storage.