A tourist trap in Santa Cruz, CA where the laws of physics are supposedly out of control. Water flows uphill, people stand crooked, and your height seems to vary by where you happen to be standing. Similar to Cosmos in South Dakota.

It has since been discovered that this is but one of many Tourist Traps with Weird Physics.

The supposed history of the Mystery Spot:
Originally, we wanted to get the level ground below here for a summer home or mountain cabin, but the gentleman we were buying it from would not sell the level ground unless we purchased a strip across the entire south end of his property, including this hillside. Finally, we bought the entire piece, mainly to get the level ground, and as we were helping the surveyor along the north line, we noted the compass to vary a small amount on the transit and spoke to him about it at that time. He said we might get that variation along a barbed wire fence or some mineral in the ground and let it pass at that. On thinking it over later, there was no barbed wire fence near where we were at the time, and as far as we knew, no excessive mineral in this ground; so we took our own small hand compass and went up over the north line to try and check on it. The variation there was not great enough that we could tell anything about it with the point of the hill and through the brush. On returning, we came down the little canyon or draw above here. In so doing felt very light headed or top heavy, felt like something trying to force us right off the hill. We sat down for a while to try and overcome that feeling. While sitting there we happened to look at the compass again. There, the compass had varied enough that we needed nothing to compare it with to tell that it was not correct. We began to check from that, and we found the more checked the more we found, until we found we had this spot of ground here. About one hundred fifty feet in diameter, that so far, we have not found any instrument absolutely correct over. A portable radio will play any place over it, but with very little variation, being the nearest correct that we have found.

In reality, the Mystery Spot is nothing more than a neat little excursion into the woods to part you from your money. It's definitely worth going to, but do be aware of the fact that magnets are buried in the ground to throw off the instruments. My friend's mom helped build the place.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.